Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0651 Tablesaw Arrives

Grizzly G0651 Tablesaw Arrives

Grizzly G0651 Tablesaw Inspection Report
    with photos

I have been building furniture off and on for 25 years using hand planes and a Sears tablesaw. I have wanted a cabinet saw and a jointer for a long time, but kept putting it off. I finally decided on the Grizzly G0490 Joiner and the G0651 Tablesaw. I choose Grizzly because of what people here have said about their good customer service.

The jointer came a week ago and the tablesaw came on Friday.

I will provide some coverage of my receipt and initial inspection of the G0651 Tablesaw.

Delivery: UPS freight delivery was without incident and the drivers helped me move the crates to my garage. There was minimal damage to the crates.

Uncrating: Well packaged. Pallet was intact. Initial impression is one of high quality. Fit and finish is good, decals are properly aligned. Outstanding paintwork.

Arbor Runout: Much less than .001" (more like a tenth of a thousandth).

Table Flatness: The table dips .015" in the middle, all around the blade cutout. This was measured with a new 4 foot Starrett straight edge and feeler gauges.

Extension Table Flatness: One end dips .006".

Fence Tube: Arrived with rust on the polished slide surfaces. And the attachment bolts are too short.

Fence: Looks good. Flat and straight.

Operation: I put on a plug and plugged it into 240VAC. It ran smoothly. I did not cut anything because I have the table off. The cast iron handwheels and locking knobs work well and feel good.

Today I notified Grizzly of my findings. They tell me the spec on table flatness is .015" to .020".

I think this saw has potential and I will work with Grizzly to resolve these quality issues with my saw.

Pictures follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

G0651 Update and more pictures

Grizzly technical support tells me the spec for table flatness is .015" to .020". So I think I'm out of luck getting a replacement table for my saw. The encouraging news is the table flatness is better with the bolts loose. So maybe I can shim it in to an acceptable flatness. And Grizzly offered to replace rusted the fence tube but it is a 4 to 6 week lead time item and I would have to apply the rulers myself, so I told them I would assemble the saw with the rusted fence tube. The rust spot is not as bad as the picture makes it seem.

Here's more pictures of the saw.
    Last edited by Mark McGee; 07-18-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added comment about the rusted fence tube

Thumbs up

That's a beauty Mark. Thanks for the pics, and congrats!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Wait...it's missing something!

Sawdust!

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Nice Saw... just don't get too much saw dust on the black porsche...

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    That's a beauty Mark.....
    ...No, it looks like a rust spot to me!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Congratulations on the acquisitions to your shop, Mark. I had a Sears contractors saw from around 1972 to 1982 before I could make an up-grade. Back in those days it really was a pretty good saw with a hollow ground planer blade on board. All the "hot-shot" blades weren't available then. But... it did everything my latter acquired cabinet saws can do now... just less power and a little more time to set up accurately.

BTW.... w-h-e-r-e-'-s Loganville? Sounds to be some kind of place that might have a car dealer named Maxie Price nearby or something? Probably even has a small municipality close that is "Between" two towns? Oh well... just something I dreamed probably. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Regards to all in Loganville from up the street in L'ville...

Sarge..

Congrats on the new saw, Mark. Looks like a beauty.

When you removed the top, were there any shims? (They would look like washers but are not washers) If so, be sure they get back in the exact same positions they were to insure that you have accurate blade alignment during bevel cuts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Table alignment

There were no shims under the table, but there were a couple of shims in a small bag. Yesterday I made a dial indicator holder for use in table alignment. Today I will start the process of table alignment and shimming.

Revised table flatness spec from Grizzly

I just spoke to Grizzly tech support and was told the spec for table flatness is .001" to .002". So I think I got a bad table. Here's an update on what I found. When I removed the three bolts that hold the cast iron table to the cabinet I found no shims, but there was a .015" gap between the cast iron and the cabinet bolting flange. That means the table was pulled down and warped. I have shimmed it but the dip will not go away. I'll call Grizzly later to discuss my options.

Follow up conversation with Grizzly

Right after the Grizzly tech rep told me the spec for table flatness is .001" to .002" I got a call from another tech rep at Grizzly regarding my inquiry about table flatness. He told me the spec is .015" to .020". That means the spec is .0175" ± .0025". So mine is out of spec. I told him mine came in with a .015" dip in the table. He told me it does not matter for woodworking machines. I'll contact them again on Monday and request a replacement table since mine came in at .015". That's out of spec. I'm not pleased with having a table that should have been rejected at the factory.

Replacement table on the way

Good news. I got a call today from the Technical Manager at Grizzly. Due to the type of the defect, my table will be replaced. The new saw will be making sawdust soon.

Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get these import distributors to dole out replacements. Glad yours is going to work out.

Sounds like to me that the top missed the shimming stage, but mounted anyway, and that pulling down on the top warped it. Glad you are getting a new top. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

One additional comment on tolerances. Without a drawing of the actual part it is hard to say the actual tolerance. Off hand I would agree with you on the +/- for discussion sake. However one thing you are not taking into account, or at least not mentioning here, is the tolerance of your gage and straight edge(neither of them are perfect). Fortunately you didn't end up with a hard-nosed rep otherwise that may have come into question.