Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many routers do you have and how many do I need?

How many routers do you have and how many do I need?

I put up a dust collection system, with metal pipes and soon found that every drill in my shop had a different bit or driver head in it. Total number of drills and drivers is 5.

I only have one router. It is a Dewalt 621, that is an early model and has no dust collection. I find myself moving it from place to place, hand held, router table, and jigs. Just realized, I really want as many routers as Norm, say 10 to 20. I'm sure I can find room on the birthday list for one, but then, how many do I really need?

One for each fancy jig, one in the router table, one for hand? How many do you have?

Not enough

Trim router, big one in the table, plunge router, normal size for hand-held, then about 4 more for no apparent reason.

Jim

One for every router bit you have is best.

I have one that stays in a table. Three handheld, one is a fixed base, one plunge and a laminate trimmer. Could probably get by with two if you want to leave one table mounted.

John
    Last edited by John Jendro; 07-15-2008 at 12:27 AM.

One table, one hand held, two trim routers.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

OK, let's see...

Bosch Colt, 1 HP, 1/4" Collet: Really light work like laminate trimming and hinge mortising.

Craftsman, 1 1/2 HP, 1/4" Collet: Dedicated for dovetail jig (dovetail bit) - this is my first purchased router over 15 years ago).

Porter Cable 690, 1 3/4 HP, 1/2" Collet: Light hand-held work.

Craftsman, 2 HP, 1/2" Collet: Dedicated for dovetail jig (straight cutter) - this was my second purchased router about 10 years ago.

Porter Cable 7518, 3 1/4 HP, 1/2" Collet: Heavy duty hand-held work.

Porter Cable 7538 Plunge, 3 1/4 HP, 1/2" Collet: All my plunge work.

Hitachi M12V Plunge, 3 1/4 HP, 1/2" Collet: Permanently mounted in router table with a Woodpeckers Plunge Lift.

Well, that's my round up of routers.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 07-14-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo

one 3.5 hp fixed, one 2.5 hp plunge, one small trim router. will probably add a 4th for dedicated use on my moulding machine's router attachment.

Think function - trim router(s) for the constantly repeated

tasks such as 1/8 and 3/16 roundover of stock to illustrate.... to avoid constant changing of bits, each dedicated to that function.

One dedicated to router table because changing back and forth is excessive, depending on how you value your time and use of that time.

Also, if possible stay with one brand for commonality of parts, accessories, and bit installation, as well as the "look and feel."

Well... if you would rather go minimal instead of one per router bit

I would suggest 3:

1) Router table set up
    2) Hand held
    3) Palm router (Bosch Colt is about the best)

Since you are already using Dewalt, stay with them and get your next one with the kit that has 2 bases. This will allow you to change the motors out with the bases or table as you see fit and effectively give you the feel that you have more than 3. I don't see a good way to skip the palm/trim router. I use mine almost more than the others.

My .02

Dewey
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

2ea 3hp Hitachi M12 for table and for mortizing and other handheld use.
    1 small handheld that I rarely use with 1/4 bits.

I bout the Hitachi M12V2 but it turned out to be of such poor quality and had several defects I returned it without ever cutting wood. I was lucky to find another M12 locally. I see them on Amazon for $500. I guess they are sought after

I've currently got 4, but could live with two...one for table, one for handuse.

- Milwauke 5625 - table
    - Freud FT1700 - table or plunge
    - Hitachi M12VC - hand use, templates, etc.
    - Craftsman 8 amp - some hand use

Have also owned and liked the MW5615, FT2000E, and Bosch 1617.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Have: 2
    Use: 1
    Need: Debatable between 0 and 1

5: DW621, DW625, DW lam trimmer, PC7518, Festool OF1400
    7 of you count the Dremel and Ryobi Dremel-clone
    9 if you count the LV and Stanley Neander tools
    Use the fence Luke

Routers

Four. Two Craftsman.(never used anymore) Two Porter-Cable 690s. One stays in the table and one for use with a plunge base or a standard base with edge guide. I do need a trim router.

Freud FT1700 in table 1
    Freud FT2000 in table 2
    PC 690, fixed and plunge bases, hand held
    Bosch Colt for everything else
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

I'm starting to feel router envy. I have two, well, two and half.

Ryobi handheld 1 1/2 hp, 1/4" collet (wedding present from my father-in-law). Just fine for light work.

Porter Cable 890 with two bases. The fixed base stays in the table for the most part, and I use the plunge base out of the table. I just move the motor in and out as I need to.

Cheers,

Chris