Thread: Question about material choice

Question about material choice

Some of you may have seen the pictures of the Adirondack trio I recently finished. I am happy with the project (made out of cedar), but was wondering if I could use Trex or some other (solid core) composite decking to make the project. I did the whole thing with 5/4x6 cedar (I didnt plane any of it down to 3/4 like it said to and saw no ill effects in fit or function). I know you can get 5/4x6 composite in a range of colors.

My questions are, how does it machine with regular WW tools. I know its supposed to "machine well", but is that limited to cutting with a circular saw? What about routered edges? Does it sand well (on the machined edges?)

Also, what about strength? Will it sag? I know its supposed to be on 12" centers.

Anyone suggest alternatives to composites?
    Jason Morgan

I saw your chairs, they looked great. Why would you want to start making plastic chairs, half the beauty is in the wood. I also think the trex would get very hot.

Richard

Have you ever stepped on a cedar deck in the hot mid day sun in your bare feet? Warms them well, lets you know you're alive. Have you ever stepped on a TREX deck in your bare feet in the mid day sun? It can burn the skin off my old calloused heels and make me jump like a cricket. Composite decking manufactures rarely mention "Oh, it gets hotter than hades in summer", but it does.

I think you can machine the trex just fine with HSS possibly for drills, carbide definitely with routers and such. Real question is once its done can you sit in it?

I'd buy a piece or get a sample from your lumber yard, set it out side on a nice sunny day in August and see if you can touch it. Your cedar chairs were handsome by the way.

Aside from possible comfort issues. (I have seen picnic benches and tables made of Trex like material) I think you would find that the material isn't rigid enough for an adirondack chair. You would find that you have sagging issues.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thanks for the advice

I too like the wood, I was just thinking about finising and durability issues. The cedar dents really easy and will need to be finished every couple of years. I had never thought about the heat issue. I was afraid of the sagging issue.

I think my next set will be made from ipe or some other harder wood.

Thanks for the advice.
    Jason Morgan

Jason, I posed this same question in another thread on Adirondacks. Let me preface my comments with "I have never built an Adirondack!", but it seems that it should work. As for Trex being hot, we have the light gray decking down, and while it gets warm, I don't notice that is gets extremely hot. To me, the whole idea is to have the chairs somewhere out of direct sun anyway for true enjoyment. The one question I would have - on your plans (which I would love to have!) - what is the maximum width of stock needed? Some plans call for wider pieces on the back leg extension. Will the 5.5" Trex work?

I think it is worth a try. Ken Gibbs posted on this link that he had success with Trex http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d=5960&t=86596

as far as the heat issue, i dont know... but my other concern would be the weight. that stuff is pretty dense and it will add up fast on those chairs.

good luck.
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Nick, I agree on the weight issue, but in my situation that would be a plus. We live on a ridge and get a lot of heavy wind. The chairs would be basically permanently situated and being assured I wouldn't have to chase them over into the woods would be comforting!

Cuts, routes, and sands well. Also sags much more than wood. It would probably be fine for any piece except the back legs. The pressure on those angled pieces would likely turn them into Twizzlers.

Ipe can be very nice. White Oak, Mahogany, or teak are good outdoor wood choices at well. All have the benefit of added weight and durability.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.