Thread: MagSwitch

MagSwitch

Does anyone use any of the MagSwitch products? Aside from the cost, do you have any complaints and what are some of the 'Likes' you have about them.

They look good for what I want to do but before I drop $150/200, I am just checking how they worked for others.

Thanks, Dar

I bought one on a lark, wondering how strong the magnets were and I was wildly impressed. I'd note I was wandering through the orange borg the other day and noticed that Ridgid seems to have some kind of licensing deal or something with magswitch, and they have packaged products that look like the magswitch ones--I had read somewhere about that deal, but it was the first time I saw the product. I didn't look at the time, but it is quite possible that Ridgid may have products priced in a somewhat friendlier manner.

I have the 'professional' MagSwitch featherboard and hold down attachment for my table saw and find it to be very convenient (quick to adjust/remove) and with good holding power. Much better than the Grip-Tite which also is a magnetic ts featherboard. Cost was $59 Cdn. at Lee Valley.
    People who can use the MagSwitch hold down item on their ts rip fence ('cause the side of the fence is steel) have said that this item is also very good.

good luck

michael

They are quite a brilliant product using opposing magnetic poles. I bought a grip tight and sent it back after noticing the scratches on my table top when I would make an adjustment. The mag switch does not scratch the surface of your machines because it does not touch the surface when off. I have quite a few mag switches for various hold downs and devices to secure fences. Using them with plywood does not work very well due to the thickness of 3/4" ply, so you do have to make or buy 3/4" stock. Several times I have tried to make due with 3/4" plywood or something kicking around that is slightly over 3/4" and it does not work as well.

Brad

[QUOTE= Using them with plywood does not work very well due to the thickness of 3/4" ply, so you do have to make or buy 3/4" stock. Several times I have tried to make due with 3/4" plywood or something kicking around that is slightly over 3/4" and it does not work as well.

Brad[/QUOTE]

I'm either misunderstanding Brad's meaning in the above statement or he and I are referring to different MagSwithch items....

......In the tablesaw combined table-based featherboard and hold down, as illustrated here...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1

the hold down attachment has an adjustment height off the table saw top of from 0" to 2.5", enough to "hold down" thin plywood as well as wood pieces up to 2.5" thick.

good luck

michael

I have the table saw version and several of the mag jigs that I used to make up fence holding devices. Sorry. When I said using 3/4" plywood didnt work, I meant for making jigs with the mag-jig. The table saw version works very well.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42363,42356

Brad

Thumbs up

I have two of the individual switches I use in jigs for my equipment I really like them .They can be used for lots of things ….A+ plus rating in my book.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    I have one universal featherboard $50 and one Ridgid version $40. Same item sans name and color. Both are great. BS, TS, whatever. Never slipped yet.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-16-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael osadchuk View Post
    I'm either misunderstanding Brad's meaning in the above statement or he and I are referring to different MagSwithch items....

......In the tablesaw combined table-based featherboard and hold down, as illustrated here...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=1

the hold down attachment has an adjustment height off the table saw top of from 0" to 2.5", enough to "hold down" thin plywood as well as wood pieces up to 2.5" thick.

good luck

michael
    I'm pretty sure Michael is referring to the fact that the seperate magswitch items are made for 3/4" material and ply is often not.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler