Thread: Compressor died

Compressor died

My compressor worked one week, the next week it won't even try to start. I know I have power to the outlet, but haven't gone any farther.

I suspect the switch, or capacitor, or maybe the pressure switch. It is a Sanborn compressor with a 2 1/2 HP motor that will run 110/220, wired for 120V. The motor has two cans (capacitors?) on top. I have tried the reset button.

I can wire a shop, but don't know much about motors. I would appreciate someone telling what steps to take to find the problem. What order should I check things, and how.

Thank you,
    Rick Potter

Did you try factory rep Master Tool repair,

http://www.sanborncompressors.com/, "Technical support available" 757-410-2879 or -7822?

One week old? Am I missing something?

I have a different brand compressor, but, when it was new I had a similar problem. Ended up the connector that fastens the power cord to the power switch was a little loose and allowed the cord to twist - enough to make one of the fast-on's come off.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I can wire a shop, but don't know much about motors. I would appreciate someone telling what steps to take to find the problem. What order should I check things, and how.
    Use your multimeter/circuit tester/etc. to find where the circuit is open. Start at one end - either the motor end or the line end - and move toward the opposite end checking each connection. The point at which you lose voltage identifies which component is faulty. If you have voltage at the motor, then the motor is bad. If you have voltage into a switch, but none out of the switch, then the switch is open, etc.

You say it doesn't even try to start. If it were the capacitor, I'd expect it to give some indication of trying to start and/or a humming sound along with a breaker trip after several seconds.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

no, no, no

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, the compressor is at least 10 years old. I was trying to say it had been a week since I used it and it wouldn't start.

Thanks for the advice, I will start trying to track it down. Knowing that the capacitor would make noise helps a lot, hopefully I will find a loose wire.

Rick Potter