Thread: Cedar Siding

Cedar Siding

The final plans for the house require 100 more pieces of cedar siding than I cut initially….no sweat, I’ll take a day and cut some more.

The swing-blade mill has an adjustable swinging shim that jams into the frame to set the saw blade at a bevel shown below:

I simply place an unexceptional WRC log in the mill and flatten it’s top by taking off a couple flatsawn 4/4 boards first…an 18.5 inch log with a volume of 140BF by Scribner and a mill value of $150 or so less transportation….

…I drop the mill 7 ˝” vertically, square up an edge of the log, set my saw blade on bevel using the shim above, and move the saw 7/8” horizontally (above) into the log for the first vertical cut.

With the beveled first vertical cut made above…

…I swing the blade to horizontal, move the saw an additional 1/8” horizontally and make my horizontal cut.

With the horizontal cut complete, I remove the swinging shim and bring the sawblade back through the log vertically with no additional horizontal adjustment…and I have two pieces of beveled siding above.

From that small 140BF log I recover 29 pieces of siding and a half dozen 4/4 boards that will clean up to 1X6 trim, in addition to some tapered pith waste useful for lath and outdoor chairs. As this is a relatively clear butt log, 21 pieces grade out to No. 1, 8” siding worth over a dollar a linear foot. All-in-all…over $300 retail value in lumber from $150 in log and about an hour’s time.

Making a jig and cutting 400, 18” cedar shingles will be next.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Bob, I am really impressed with your versatility, and your good-natured patience. "No sweat, I'll take a day a cut some more?" I wish I had that.
    By the way: apparently, the sawdust and sap from WRC is really, really bad for saw milling equipment. Really bad. I'm surprised that yours still works. What I can do, though, is come get yours, take it back to my place, and I can fix it for you, cheap. It might take some time, say, six months or so, but when you get it back, it'll run like a dream. I can also put a new "warning" sticker on it for you. That'll take another couple of months, but hey-safety first.
    Seriously- I really look forward to your informative, well-illustrated posts. Keep 'em coming.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Walt, What a guy. So helpful!
    Bob thanks. Another lesson in wood lore!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/