Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear protection question when using routers:

Ear protection question when using routers:

I have a router table, and I want to get a good router for it. I must admit that I’ve never used a router, but my real question isn’t about what router to buy, but rather what do you recommend for good ear protection? I understand that routers generate a lot more noise than either of my other power tools (a RAS and a CMS), so can anyone recommend the type (brand, model?) of ear protection that I’d need when doing a lot of routing? I'm assuming that most or all of you do use some type of ear protection when routing.
    Louis

I have a set of these and they work just great. Esp needed with the portable planer. Please buy through SMC.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Profess...6318604&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Brian Smith3; 07-17-2008 at 6:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    There are a number of good brans out there. Do a google search for ear protection or sound attenuators and you will find lots of sources. Most sporting goods stores, industrial safety suppliers and woodworking stores carry a variety of models. Get one that feels comfortable to you and you will tend to wear it more often.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Louis,

I can't give you any brand specific advice -- Brian's recommendation seems a good deal -- but I can say that I would never use a table saw, router, planer, jointer when face planing, chain saw, skilsaw, etc. without ear protection. Essential gear, IMO.

I think its both a big deal and not a big deal. Its a big deal in that YES please do wear ear protection. But its not a big deal in that any reasonable ear protection from a woodworkers supply will do. As far as routers, my largest under the hood is Big Red (Milwaukee's 3.5 HP) and sometimes when I loose my ear protection I resort to stuffing (with great care) dampened tissue paper. Sounds gross but it takes only a second and it works so well I cant even hear the Sargeant yelling at me. Point is: anything is better than nothing.

I'm a router guy and I ussually wear something like these though:http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...11&cat=1,42207

Of greater importance of course is dust protection. To my knowledge prolonged exposure to dust doesn't cause ear cancer (not a joke and should also be taken seriously).
    Last edited by Steve Perez; 07-17-2008 at 3:40 PM.
    "And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon." -- Scotty

I just use the simple foam ear plugs or a regular set of muffs and they seem more than adequate to reduce the noise to acceptable levels.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I have a pack of ear plugs that come in soft and medium (Purple and Orange). Work great.

As has been written "the foam ear plugs work great". They are cheap, are readily available and don't make your ears sweat like crazy.
    David B

For shooting I am very particular about using the best ear protection I can find. For woodworking, I don't find it as crucial - any set of muffs or plugs should lower the noise to an acceptable level.

Wood Magazine did a nice article called Understanding Shop Noise, July 2008 issue, that also made some recommendations. They did recommend the Peltor Optime H10A. I bought a pair and love them. Very comfortable and reduced the noise by 29 decibels but their study found the cheap old foam plugs inserted correctly in your ear provided 35-45 decibel reduction!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kevin Davis
    Carmel Group

I use plugs similar to the ones Steve pointed out. They are cheap enough that I keep a few extra pair on hand to give to friends that may drop by the shop from time to time.

If you still smoke, cigarette filters will work in a pinch. I used them in the Army when hearing protection wasn't available.
    David B

The foam plugs are the biggest bang for the buck. They work like a champ and are not a pain to wear like muffs. When buying for my crews I prefer the Moldex or the Howard Leight. Buy in bulk, they are NOT reuseable. Also do not put them in too far. I had to use my multi-tool to get them out of a workers ear one day.

My experience with the Peltor muffs has been very disappointing. They did not fit most of the guys right and when they did they did not work up to snuff. (NOTE: We were pile driving 50' metal pilings and the noise was over 130 db's. They had to use both the plugs and the muffs.) I replaced them with Bilsom muffs and all were happy with them.

Here is a little fact - 95% of the earplugs have a higher noise reduction than muffs. Most muffs are in the upper 20's and plugs are in the lower 30's.

I use the cheap foam plugs all the time. I get them from HF in large lots and they are dirt cheap. If I feel the need, it put on a pair of muffs over the plugs. I use them with the lawnmower too--make the noise bearable and keep the dust out of the ear.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Blog Entries
    I have a couple pair of the Peltors. Their great. I like them better than ear plugs which is what I always used since they block so well. I started to have trouble with my ears or I would still use them. The Peltors block almost as well and they are no problem over my Rx shop glasses.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler