Thread: Commission pricing question

Commission pricing question

I have a person who wants me to turn 4, 14" chargers (plates that you put your plate on). The blanks would have to be glued up from flat 4/4 stock. Aside from the cost of materials, how would you suggest pricing a job like this? By the hour - by the size-??

Thanks,

Tom

Tom - all things being equal - I would charge by the job. It will be quicker for you to cut, mill and glue all the stock up at the same time. The amount of time it takes you to turn a charger should decrease as the job progresses. So, my answer would be, estimated materials (wood, glue, sandpaper, finish, etc) + estimated mill time + estimated turning time + estimated finishing time.

Oh... Congrats on the commission job!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I agree with Steve. Figure your time, materials, and finishing materials.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I agree with Steve. Figure your time, materials, and finishing materials.
    And then double it. You will more than likely underestimate your time.

Since my wife has had her own business (I work for some big corporation) I've come to the realization profit is a not a dirty word. After paying for the equipment, software, utilities, etc you have to make money to recoup your investment. If not, it's just a hobby.

Price the job to make money, it's not worth doing if when its all said and done your hourly rate was minimum wage or less.

Blog Entries
    If they question your pricing, tell them "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten"
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

If you are lookin for l4+ wide boards (no glue up) then sent me a pm. and I will tell you what I have for sale.

I keep thinking of what anothe woodworker told me when we were discussing the same topic. He used to work in a shop that sharpeded lawnmower blades. Minimum charge was $52/hour. I think woodturning it a higher skill than sharpening lawnmower blades. If you are dealing with a lawyer, charge him $500 an hour.

When figuring how much to charge you will need to consider overhead in addition to time, materials, and finishing materials. You only use a little electricity and only grind off a little of your gouge but it all adds up. It only takes a little while to replace a light bulb and they are cheap (except the new compact florescent ones). The insurance on your building has to be paid, etc.. If you don't figure overhead you are giving away your profit.

Dave

Tom,

I did that exact same job last year. It was one of those "here is what I want, price don't matter" jobs from a 'friend', someone who had seen my prices before. I inlaided two touquise rings at the border because his wife loves tourquise. Anyway, I deliver and tell him $40 each thinking I was being nice with a friends and family discount. He was shocked and said he expected to pay $40 for the set. Anyway he went shopping at the mall for his wifes present and I donated the chargers to a Hospital benefit where they brought $220 in the auction. Just be clear on price going into it, don't assume the customer understands anything.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Thanks for all your responses. The party that expressed interest hasn't gotten back to me with a wood choice - maybe just as well. Frank, your experience is exactly what I feel I might be getting into. Most people have no appreciation of the work required to glue up blanks, prepare, turn, finish - and no concept of the cost of the materials. They are too used to picking up an imported, mass produced beech wood platter or bowl at the discount store for $15.00.