Thread: sanding green wood - tips?

1. sanding green wood - tips?

I occasionally turn green wood to completion in one session. The problem I frequently have is in getting a good sanded surface. I've tried sanding as if the wood were dry (that is, no extra lubrication for the sandpaper). I've also tried wet sanding as demonstrated by Del Stubbs and more recently by Michael O'Donnell.

Most of any given piece will turn out fine, but invariably there seem to be a couple patches of end grain that are torn and rough, no matter how I sand them. What is especially irritating is that these spots usually look fine during the sanding session, but then stand out like a sore thumb a couple of days later.

So, any tips? Anyone else encounter this problem and its solution? I'm hoping for something more user-friendly then hand sanding after the piece has dried, but maybe that's the only answer?

Don

Don I was shown both oil and wax to help. Sometimes you have to hand sand those bad spots with 220, 400 or 600 grit. Another thing to try is reverse the lathe when you change grits.
    I use the oil sanding method and still have to hand sand once in a while. Make sure your chuck is locked in when you use the reverse lathe method. I seem to have trouble with a few woods, black walnut I always get the end grain streaks. I usually turn the lathe off and hand sand those spots. You do use more sandpaper with the oil method. Hope this solves your problems....Bruce

PS I had a very bad time with Palo Verde it was so wet it would clog the paper in seconds. That one I turned thin and let it dry over night. Then it sanded up fine.
    Last edited by Bruce Pennell; 07-18-2008 at 5:49 PM.