Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside-Out Turning

Barry....whose side are you on anyway? I'm doing laundry as we type. I've got dishes soaking upstairs. I've been batching it since early June. I'm getting a whole lot more respect for everything Sharon does for me! If you have an hour I"ll tell you how much I hate cooking and how much I hate eating my own cooking.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Barry....whose side are you on anyway?
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Did I hide some Easter eggs? When was that?

Have no movies and only one book. It's called "The Art of SomeKindaTurning", and requires glue and little pieces of wood, and I refer to it a lot.

Robert who?

Seriously, am indebted to Robert for some dandy mesquite and hope the knee is doing well.
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard,

I'd keep an eye on Robert. Anybody who rides a motorcycle, has a pretty wife and wears a dewrag...well......
    Ken

Ken cutting your four sides from one length will give you something to glue up and turn. However keep in mind you wont have matching grains when you put the pieces together.

[quote=Richard Madison;892179]Cool lamp, Robert! Does anyone use brown paper in the joints of the first glue-up, or just saw them apart.

No just put the glue on the first 14 inch of each end then cut the ends off and the pieces fall apart. Next gluing is for the entire mating surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wilhelm View Post
    Ken cutting your four sides from one length will give you something to glue up and turn. However keep in mind you wont have matching grains when you put the pieces together.
    Yup! I knew that but this is some scrap 2x2 that I'm using. I have never done any inside-out turning so as Curt and Bernie suggested. Learn on the cheap wood!
    Ken

Inside out

Ken: Here are some photos that may help.

Here are some photos of a bowl base. It souded like a helicopter when it was spinning inside out.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...7&d=1161877543
    Attached Thumbnails

If she mows and takes the trash out, she's a keeper.

She mows, she takes out the trash, she could have retired 4 years ago but told me to get a contractor and have the shop empty shell built and she'd work until I could retire and she'd pay for the shop. She is a great cook whose recipes are often requested, she is a great wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. Though she's older than I am, you wouldn't know it by her actions. She's come through a lot in life before I met and married her. And Christmas Eve 2008 she will have put up with me for 40 years. She's my best friend and worst critic. I'm a foot taller and 100 lbs. heavier. Doesn't seem to make one difference when we get into an argument...Though in 40 years I believe the total arguments has been 7. I met her on a blind date on Saturday night. Sunday she brought her 2 kids from a previous marriage over to meet me and we went on a picnic. Monday, I took her to dinner and asked her to marry me. 8 days later I left for bootcamp after signing over my checking and savings accounts to her. 2 days after I got home from bootcamp, we got married. I firmly believe God looks after fools, babies and drunks. At one time I was lucky enough to qualify in all 3 classifications. I was 19 when we got married. I'm one lucky guy!

BTW.....In a few minutes I'll be mowing the yard.
    Ken

Now Ken, does it really take all day to turn something? You must be pretty busy to have to negociate turning with the wife! Of course I just retired and my choices are.....nap......or maybe do something inthe shop.....or maybe nap.

After school got out early in June, at my urging the LOML left to spend most of the summer with her 85 year old mother. She returns late Tuesday evening. Considering everything I stated above, I don't want to let her down. I've kept the house clean, the yard mowed and the bills paid since she left.

I just finished trimming the lawn, now on with the mowing.

Turning....maybe later this evening if the 100 degree temps don't warm the shop up too much.
    Ken

Have been thingking about trying something inside out, but just haven't found the right project yet. Your wife definitely sounds like a keeper. Mine is like that. Last week we stopped by the toy...er tool store to look at a dust collector, and she said just get one and stop wasting time. Every salesman in the store was right on her, and totally ignored me. She grew up in a lumber yard, and she is a dangerous woman in a tool/lumber store. I don't dare take her to a Woodcraft store, because our SUV can't fit all the wood she buys.

Enjoy your inside out turning; we are waiting for the pictures. Even more, enjoy the great wife. She sounds like one in a million.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Ken your story sounds like a exact copy of mine. The only difference is 41 yrs. ago this December I asked my wife to marry me after we had been together 30 minutes or so. I left for boot camp and came home to get married and left again two days later. I signed my banking and savings accounts over to her. I haven't seen what a paycheck looks like in 41 yrs. I probably qualify for at least one of each of those classifications somewhere along the line.

I could be turning today but the kids are coming home so since the LOML bought me all those toys errrrrr I mean tools at the Symposium I figured I had better do my share around the house.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well,

The good news:

The yard is trimmed and mowed and I only have 2 more loads of laundry to do and the dishes have been kept up.

The bad news:

My glue job failed so I've got to try to repair it. Maybe some turning Tuesday or Wednesday as Monday I'm already scheduled to work in the evening at a local medical center.

Oh well, the shop is a little too warm right now anyway.
    Ken