Thread: Maple Bowls

Maple Bowls

I made a couple of maple bowls today while I was waiting for the gule to dry in some stoppers that I was preparing to turn. The wood is from a pile they had last weekend at the campground that was being used for the campfire. Now I wish I had grabbed some of the bigger pieces and more of them. I was surprised at the spalting in the wood since they were having such a hard time burning it at the camp site and it didn’t show any until I cut it in half.

They are 4” in diameter and one is 1-1/2’ high and the other is 2” high. They were fun little bowls to turn. The bigger one has some cracks in the end grain that I thought would be removed while turning .

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Outstanding spalting! (Which is also likely the reason it wasn't burning very well...wet and soft don't burn well!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    OooH La La! Too nice Dick
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Jim, thats what else suprised me as when I was turning it, the wood was very very dry. A lot of dust as it turned.

Thanks Tyler.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    I made a couple of maple bowls today while I was waiting for the gule to dry in some stoppers that I was preparing to turn. The wood is from a pile they had last weekend at the campground that was being used for the campfire. Now I wish I had grabbed some of the bigger pieces and more of them. I was surprised at the spalting in the wood since they were having such a hard time burning it at the camp site and it didn’t show any until I cut it in half.

They are 4” in diameter and one is 1-1/2’ high and the other is 2” high. They were fun little bowls to turn. The bigger one has some cracks in the end grain that I thought would be removed while turning .

Thanks for looking.
    It really is too bad you didn't get more and bigger pieces, Dick. That is some really fine spalted maple. I ran out quite some time ago and wish I had some more. Well, I have some nice spalted hackberry anyhow. Have turned an 11" bowl out of some of that and am waiting for the tung oil to dry so I can buff it out.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree