Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New table saw purchase

New table saw purchase

Well I finally pulled the trigger tonight. I used my stack of gift certificates for Amazon and ordered a Grizzly 1023SL along with a HTC base, SuperBar and MasterPlate. I bought a WoodworkerII and a Freud Dial a width dado at Rockler last weekend with the 25% off sale they were having. I have been looking at this saw for a while now and feel that it will give me the best bang for my buck. For the most part it seems to get excellent reviews from everyone that owns it. I can't wait for it to show up so I can set it up. I am also in the process of finishing a 20x20 area of the basement for my workshop. I will post pics of the saw as soon as it is delivered. Does anyone have any tips for removing the coating and setting it up? Thanks -Kevin

"I used my stack of gift certificates for Amazon"

WOW! that must have been a big stack!

Blog Entries
    First off, congrats! I was able to wipe 90* of the goo off my Griz jointer with just paper towels. Then some mineral spirits for the final wipe down. A generous coat of wax and you're all set.

If you pull the table to get it in the basement, pay attention to where each shim (if any) is for the top at the mounting bolts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've only got one thing to say

Lucky duck.....Lucky duck........Lucky duck!

Congrats!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes it was a big stack. It took a while to enter all of them but well worth it. I get gift certificates instead of cash back for my credit card and I found a place that you can order gift certificates for 25% off. I still had to pay a little but the total looked much better to the LOML.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    First off, congrats! I was able to wipe 90* of the goo off my Griz jointer with just paper towels. Then some mineral spirits for the final wipe down. A generous coat of wax and you're all set.

If you pull the table to get it in the basement, pay attention to where each shim (if any) is for the top at the mounting bolts.
    What type of wax should I use and how often do you reapply it?
    Last edited by Kevin Gagne; 07-21-2008 at 11:22 AM.

How tight of a tolerance do people get when setting up their table saw? Thanks -Kevin

Kevin, congratulations on your new saw.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gagne View Post
    What type of wax should I use and how often do you reapply it?
    I use Johnson's Paste Wax but any good paste wax without more than a trace of petroleum and NO silicon would work. Waxes with high carnuba content are harder once applied but are also harder to apply. JPW can be had at Lowe's (in the cleaning aisle (?)) for about $5 a can.

I apply monthly or whenever things start to drag or I see a pre-rust shadow or any time I'm watching glue dry ;-) I keep two cans handy; one labeled tools, the other for wood projects.

I think if you search here you'll find a ton of folks that use JPW and have for years. Boshield T-9 was nore sticky than slick to me but it is supposed to be a good protectant if you prefer that direction.

P.s. on JPW, I apply and wait till it just starts to fog and then buff. The directions tell you to wait longer but the residue gets hard to remove. I'd rather do two light coats than spend half an hour buffing a tablesaw ;-)

P.p.s Don't forget to wax your fence if appropriate.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I follow Kelly Mehler's advice on my 1023SL (love it) about waxes: what's ever left in a can of furniture paste wax, but avoid products that contain silicone which can contaminate the finishing process. Most car and floor waxes work equally well. Also, avoid floor waxes that contain anti-slip additives and car waxes that contain abrasives. What I have on hand now is Behlen's Blue Label Paste Wax. Absolutely a must after you've got the goo off. Congrats and enjoy!

Has anyone tried Penetrol? I use it on all my cast iron shop tool tables. You can find it at the BORG in the paint dept. Its main market is as an additive for oil based paints to help it flow smooth and reduce brush marks. But on the back of the can there is a paragraph that states that it is great as a tool rust preventer.

I found out about it on the Ridgid forum. Seems several of the guys in high humidity areas were having problems with rust and one of them tried Penetrol. It is the best I have tried for rust protection.

My shop is very close to a creek and the building is unheated and with all the cracks in the rough cut green sawmill wood siding I used for its construction, the shop is practically open to the fog and morning moisture that comes from the creek. (My shop was originally built for my riding mower and tiller and gardening tools until I converted it to a woodworking shop last summer).

I tried the paste wax and Boshield last summer and fall. They would hold up for a few weeks then it was back to the Boshield Rust Off and a new coat and then buff it off. My first application of the Penetrol was back in December - its now July and I haven't had any rust yet! I don't expect it to last forever, but 8 months satisfies me.

Try a search on "Penetrol" over at the Rigid forum to get the story "straight from the hoss's mouth".

Congrats on the new saw, Kevin. Where do you get your Amazon certificates 25% off? That would be very handy. Thanks.

You should enjoy your 1023SL ... I know I like mine

You can get 75% of the crud off with a plastic putty knife. It is much faster and mess free to do that before going at it with paper towels and solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    You can get 75% of the crud off with a plastic putty knife. It is much faster and mess free to do that before going at it with paper towels and solvent.
    where was that idea 7 months ago