Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chip N' Dale Chest on chest...

Chip N' Dale Chest on chest...

36 days from a crude conception of un-straight lines on a note-pad to final finish.. solid wood.. M & T face and rear frames.. bridle and lapped drawer runners as I don't use metal.. secret mitered DT base.. hand cut dove-tails on drawers.

My goal as usual was simple, clean lines.. function.. and a touch of lace here and there to add some pi-zazz to basically two boxes sitting on top of each other with drawers. Otherwise I have a Snap-On Tool box made from wood.

Sarge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chip N`dale Chest On Chest

I think you did a great job and I doubt if you will have to put any tools in it but if you choose to you will have one nice tool box. Barry Bruner

John

Nice looking chest on chest. 36 days from start to finish is a pretty good clip to me.
    Another piece for the southern cross signature series.

Great job again!

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Sarge! Well Done! Are you keeping it?

May we see some more closeup pics of the drawer sides with the dovetails, and glides?

Chip 'n Dale? I was expecting to see some mischievous chipmunks...
    "It's Not About You."

Nice work, John!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the kind comments guys...

Well Barry.. the First Lady doesn't know it but I drilled 4 secret holes under the base for casters just in case she didn't care for it.

"She" is keeping it Ed. I am strickly amateur and almost all my work is done strickly for family and a few freinds. I really don't care for dead-lines even though I imposed a 9 month dead-line to finish a bed.. a 6 drawer chest.. a TV stand and the double chest for a bedroom suit for her. This is the last piece of the set with a week over-run on the time frame I set.

With that said.. I used to do a lot of charity work with donated scraps for local missions (abused women.. half way houses.. mentally ill.. etc.) but I have slowed the pace in the past 4 years to within the family. But "within the family" sets it own dead-lines. You can make it perfectly clear when agreeing to do a piece for family you only work when you feel like it and it could take 6 months.

With that totally understood in advance.. you will get a call a week latter followed up every 3-4 days but they won't ask if you're done... more to the effect of how is "my" so and so coming along. Women....

Again thanks to all for your comments.... taking a day or two off before starting a coffee table (moving to another room I believe is the words my wife used) as I almost got de-hydrated over the last week. As Ed Sallee can attest... hot and humid in Georgia finally.

Sarge..

Well done, I like simple and clean lines. The beauty is in it's usefulness.

Well done Sarge.
    When I think of "Chip n Dale" stuff I think of more ornate and decorative, not my style... or is it the Chippendale style I don't like?

Cheers.
    Greg

Nice work! I love the DT in the drawers.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Blog Entries
    Excellent grain alignment on the side. Hopefuylly it was planned that way

Nice looking chest. Can you show us more of the "secret mitered DT base" and how you did that?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Real nice, clean lines, a chorus, rather than cacaphony, of LOUD grain.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks Norm.....

The Chp N' Dale is just my southern sense of humor, Greg. The other Chippendale would be as out of place in my casual home as a hooker showing up for Sunday School...

Thanks on the DT's Brent. I just finished 90 on a 6 drawer chest a month or so ago. Another 50 here keeps me tuned up. I use a marking gauge for the bottom line.. then a bevel to get angle after I eye the position. I attempt to keep them random but my eyes see symmetric as they come out almost that way even after I think random. Picture at the bottom shows what I mean.. you have to look close to see random.

Lee... The side grain was planned as you have to carefully chose stock and sometimes with what is available.. you still don't get what you seek.

Very loud indeed, John. Southern red oak gets wild in the grain opposed to the northern cousin which has more straight line grain. You have to attempt to put a leash on it or it will run over you like a freight train. You do the best you can with it as it is cheap locally.

I had a $800 budget for an entire bed-room suit and I kept it under $400 total for bed... 6 drawer chest.. TV chest and this 5 drawer chest as I partially used recovered local Storm-Kill. Drawer sides alone will push your budget as their is a lot of board feet involved in just them alone.

If you're gonna have a wild streak.. I figure the Bedroom is a good place to have it.

Thanks to all that have looked and commented...

Sarge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice work, John. It not only looks nice but also appears to be very functional. Nice finishing job also.
    And now for something completely different....