Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outfit my shop with Grizzly tools...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outfit my shop with Grizzly tools...

So I convinced the wife that the price of woodworking tools will increase significantly over the next few years due to transportation and steel prices. Consequently, if I'm ever to outfit my shop, I should do it now. Believe it or not, she said OK. WooHoo! I've decided to purchase mostly Grizzly tools and I need help with the individual selections. I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum to get some recommendations. My budget is about $7,000 to buy the following items:
    - Cabinet saw
    - Planner
    - Jointer
    - Band Saw
    - Sander
    My current woodworking skills are "average" but I hope to buy tools that will still work well as my skills advance.

Thomas, I bought all new Griz tools this year and was going to offer my thoughts, but your budget is nearly twice mine!!! I will let some of the others chime in, but I can tell you that I have been extremely pleased. Unless you have lots of space, I would not get them all at once. There are some posts on the creek about the thinking on that.

i agree, think about what you want to do the most, and don't run out and buy all new tools just cause you can, for the same money you can find better in used stuff sometimes.

it's rare that i don't see a powermatic 66 tablesaw for sale at least once a month, for instance. grizzly cabinet saws are fine for budget new stuff but higher end used table saws are always a better option, imo.

there are alot of options for planers as well. some flip up to act as a jointer too, some have molding knife and sanding attachments.

and honestly, out of that 7000, plan on spending 1500 on dust collection (again if buying new). it's not worth the mess to have half a** dust collection. so plan on spending 1000 for a decent dust collector and another 300 in pipe to run around the shop while you're at it.

bigger planers and jointers make bigger piles of shavings, you don't want said piles to wind up in the machine and on the floor, or you'll spend as much time with a compressor nozzle and a broom as you do with boards.

I like my 1023SL. I am not a professional and use that saw quite a bit on my weekend projects.

I have been looking at their joiners as well....given the market, it may well be a 6" instead of the 8 that I really want.

They make a good product ( for me ) but that doesnt mean that you should limit your search and reviews to JUST them. There are several others that make reasonably priced products.

And .... take some of that money and buy some clamps. I have FEW, and thats my biggest gripe when I try to do anything.

And more things to spend money on...

You don't describe what kind of shop you have but don't forget most of the "big" tools require 220V. You may need some of your budget for wiring. Also depending on shop size, mobile bases for all those "big" tools.

I would also encourage you to budget dust collection and air filtration. Neither comes cheap. Lastly there is finishing. Depending on whether you wish to spray those HVLP systems can add up in a hurry.
    Wood'N'Scout

Welcome to the forum Thomas. As others have mentioned, definitely set aside some budget for dust collection, and check out any good used deals that pop up. It'd be worth talking with any local dealers you have too....they just might be able to put together an attractive package on comparable, or possibly even better machines. You may also want to check out this thread about Microsoft's 10%-35% cashback offer thru Ebay....many folks are grabbing Grizzly, comparable Shop Fox models (owned by the same guy who owns Grizzly), and other brands at nice discounts (myself included ).

Also, be sure to budget for some good blades.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Welcome to the forum Thomas. As others have mentioned, definitely set aside some budget for dust collection, and check out any good used deals that pop up. It'd be worth talking with any local dealers you have too....they just might be able to put together an attractive package on comparable, or possibly even better machines. You may also want to check out this thread about Microsoft's 10%-35% cashback offer thru Ebay....many folks are grabbing Grizzly, comparable Shop Fox models (owned by the same guy who owns Grizzly), and other brands at nice discounts (myself included ).

Also, be sure to budget for some good blades.

It seems like every time I read one of Scott's post I always agree with it. Scott is so right about the dust collection. Don't go the Cheap route when it comes to protecting yourself and your lungs. Buy either a good portable machine that can be moved machine to machine, but if your anything like me that gets old real quick. If you have the money set up a stationary dust collection system that will serve you for yrs to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    It seems like every time I read one of Scott's post I always agree with it. Scott is so right about the dust collection. Don't go the Cheap route when it comes to protecting yourself and your lungs. Buy either a good portable machine that can be moved machine to machine, but if your anything like me that gets old real quick. If you have the money set up a stationary dust collection system that will serve you for yrs to come.
    Sometimes I agree with me too Denny!

Thomas - This Griz 1023SLX is currently available through the MS Live.com "Cashback" offer for $250 off, or ~ $1146 delivered. The same discount offer would put the Griz 0513X2 17" BS to your door for ~ $767. Since the deal allows 3 discounted items per account, you could get the Griz G0490 for ~ $727 shipped. Opening a second Ebay account would allow 3 more discounted items...there's a Shop Fox 15" planer and dust collector available. You could literally save $1000-$1500 on your major machinery by pursuing that discount....it's legitimate too.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 07-23-2008 at 1:49 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

9. Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Marr View Post
    So I convinced the wife that the price of woodworking tools will increase significantly over the next few years due to transportation and steel prices. Consequently, if I'm ever to outfit my shop, I should do it now. Believe it or not, she said OK. WooHoo! I've decided to purchase mostly Grizzly tools and I need help with the individual selections. I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum to get some recommendations. My budget is about $7,000 to buy the following items:
    - Cabinet saw
    - Planner
    - Jointer
    - Band Saw
    - Sander
    My current woodworking skills are "average" but I hope to buy tools that will still work well as my skills advance.
    Since you have decided on Grizzly (thank you), these would be my picks for your budget:

G0651 Cabinet saw
    G0490X 8 " Jtr
    G0453Z 15" planer
    G0513X2 17" bsaw
    G0563 Osc sander
    G0440 Dust collector.

This puts you right at your budget, but you still need to come up with the shipping cost. Your assumption is absolutely correct about machinery pricing.
    Thank you for your confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Since you have decided on Grizzly (thank you), these would be my picks for your budget:

G0651 Cabinet saw
    G0490X 8 " Jtr
    G0453Z 15" planer
    G0513X2 17" bsaw
    G0563 Osc sander
    G0440 Dust collector.

This puts you right at your budget, but you still need to come up with the shipping cost. Your assumption is absolutely correct about machinery pricing.
    Thomas, in case you're not aware, Shiraz is the head honcho of Grizzly. You're just received a real personal touch in customer service!

G0651 Cabinet saw
    G0490X 8 " Jtr
    G0453Z 15" planer
    G0513X2 17" bsaw
    G0563 Osc sander
    G0440 Dust collector.

I would agree with Shiraz with one caveat. I like bandsaws. If you are going to use your bandsaw for mostly resawing, the 513x2 will fit the bill. However, if you plan on really utilizing your bandsaw's potential, I would go for all the swing room you can get and would advise the 514x2. Those extra 2 inches makes a world of difference. I would also cut back a notch on the jointer to save a bit of money.

So, my list would be:

Table Saw GO1023 SLZ $1,441
    Jointer GO586 841
    Planer GO453Z 941
    Bandsaw GO514x2 1,391
    Sander GO563 1,396
    DC GO440 841
    Total(with shipping)$6,851

This keeps you under budget, with shipping, by $149 to use for a present for the wife - if you're smart. This is a great budget and I think you'll get outstanding value with your picks.

John
    Last edited by John Bailey; 07-23-2008 at 9:50 AM.
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Thomas, congratulations on your pending purchases. The only Grizzly tool I have is a G0490 jointer that is a good machine for the money. Good luck with your choices.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Thomas,

I'd like to echo Don's congratulations on your new shop. I know it is exciting to be selecting your new equipment. I am very impressed with Shiraz's recommendations. That would be an excellent shop.

Good luck,

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry White; 07-22-2008 at 8:27 PM.

Thomas, It sounds like you have a great budget to work with and you are going to be able to build a great shop with it. I don't have any Grizzly equipment but judging from the response from people who do you are going to get a shop that will last you a long long time.
    Enjoy the process.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Craigslist!

Thomas,

A year ago, I would have done what you're thinking about - bought the best new equipment I could afford. However, I discovered Craigslist about 8 months ago and I agree with the previous poster who suggested you buy quality used stuff.

So far, I've bought 4 machines off of craigslist. I estimate I've saved nearly $1600, not even thinking about the shipping and/or sales tax I didn't pay. My purchases include a nearly new Powermatic bandsaw for $700 below Amazon's price and a Dewalt scroll saw with all the extras for $300 below retail.

Heck, for your budget, I saw a beautiful Minimax combo machine for $5400 recently - would've given you a table saw, shaper, planer, jointer, and money left over for the sander.

Just something to think about. HTH.