Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new Pick-Up..opinions wanted.

Looking for a new Pick-Up..opinions wanted.

I have decided owning a Saab is not for me any longer. I bought it used about 8 months ago and have had 3 repair bills over $500. I am looking for a 2004 1/2 ton or smaller and it will be a daily driver, under 25miles a day so gas milage is not a huge factor. I would like to be able to throw 4x8's in some how but that is not a major concern either. I want a confortable ride and at least an extended cab...possibly a crew. Price is definately a factor, and a good deal on any of them will make the sale. Saw a GMC sierra in maine this weekend for under 19k for 4wd ext cab, but I didn't have my car to trade. Currently looking at Chevy/GMC nissan, toyota and Ford.

Hi Tim. Folks down there buy Fords, the best selling truck in Texas, and the country for that matter. My F-150 is a 95 with 65K miles that I bought from a retired doctor. It is a good truck, IMO, and I expect to have it for quite a while. The fellow who built my house traded an F-350 diesel for another F-350 diesel, he wouldn't have anything else. My neighbors in all directions drive Ford pick-ups.

Shucks, I wouldn't be surprised if George W. didn't drive a Ford
    Best Regards, Ken

If it good enough for GW...then it is good enough foe me!!! It is on my list!!! Thanks for the review.

One isn't any better than the other, pick what you like and the options you want. After thirty years in auto repair and twenty years repairing Fords I have found that in the end, they're all junk .

My wife just basically had to throw her 2001 explorer away after only 80k when the plastic oil pump gear sheered off inside the engine...so i would have to verify that the engine is much improved in the 04 150 vs 01 explorer. BTW...I thought I posted this topic in the OT section, so move it if you want. Sorry.

The Ford is nice...but I bought the Tundra as it felt more comfortable to me. The "new" F150 is improved in that respect and considerably safer than previous versions, however, and I'd look at it again should I even buy another truck. 'Keepin' the Tundra for as long as it runs at this point and I only have 36K miles on it so far after 3 1/2 years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you can find a bit more money, I would say go for a base Dodge Ram with a HEMI. I checked out Dodge's website, and you can get a Quad Cab Dodge Ram ST with the HEMI option and the Mercedes sourced 5 speed audo and no other options for 24K. That HEMI is really nice!! It will give you a ton of power and reliability. And it is very easy to have those giddy moments of adolescent fun and do a smokey burnout (been there, done that!!).

Good luck on your search.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I'm with Anthony on this. No one manufacturer is building a truck any better, or with any more tech advances than any other manufacturer.

Pick what fits your taste and wallet. Then enjoy.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.

Yes i did not mean to leave out Dodge, but I think the ram is a bit bigger than i need...the dakota would be fine however. Cost wise they all pretty much lit for around 25k...and I would like to find a deal to bring the cost down to somewhere near the 19k mark...I should be able to get 12ish for my Saab. The rest I will roll into my house loan so as to get the tax deduction, unless I can get into a 0% finance.

Well, I'm a ford fan. Have been since 73.
    Went the chevy bit when I was younger, and was always working on them.
    I finally figured out that if you want to race, buy a chevy.
    But if you want to get to work so you can afford to race, buy a ford for your daily driver. Ok, I'm outa here. Steve

My own wallet could only afford a used Chev S-10 and it's OK. BUT, if I had the $$, I think I'd go with Tojo, probably the Tundra. I know three guys who have one (including our own Tyler!) and they've all been very happy with them, including the ride characteristics. One of my best buddies at work has one, his dad has one and his dad's previous truck was a Tojo, as well. They have a heckuva' drivetrain and I believe they've even improved the body, so that they last as long as the drivetrain.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    I have decided owning a Saab is not for me any longer.
    Yo Tim, there was a day (back in the 60's and early 70's all I drove was SAAB. My first one was the 3 banger, 2 cycle, you had to add oil to the gas when you filled up. My next was the Monte Carlo version ('67 maybe?) that had three one barrel solex's, one feeding each cylinder. Wasn't a bug, datsun, Toyo, MG, or Austin on the road that could catch me (Ford Vic's with blue lights could!). The only problem was the engine would turn both ways, so if it was damp out when it idled in neutral once in a while you would get a spark jump across the coil and that dog would change direction. Three speed reverse, one speed forward!

My next was the V-4 made by Ford in Belgium I believe. That was one strong engine. Then I got fancy and traded for the SAAB 99, (99 was the emblem, not the year). That was one fine car in it's time. Back then, SAAB's were cheap vehicles, very easy to work on. Parts were OK as a friend of the family was a dealer and I had ready access to parts.

Would love to have one of the old three banger mouse models, haven't seen one in way over ten years. My Monte Carlo used to get 40 to 45 mpg. The three bangers where finally banned in the US by EPA.

Sorry for rambling guys, but thanks so very much Tim for the stroll down memory lane.

BTW, LOML & I honeymooned to Key West in that Monte Carlo version going on 34 years ago.
    Tony

Do you plan on hauling more than just 2x4s in your truck? What else do you plan on using it for?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Hopefully soon, it will haul a nice new 6" jointer home But its main hauling duties will include lumber for me, and mulch, dirt and plants for the wife, plus on weekends a kayak or 2. Also, day trips for antiques on occasion. Thats why i am including the smaller trucks like the Chevy Colorado or Toyota Tacoma in the mix to keep the cost down. Buying new because after the saab I want a warranty, but will look at very new used cars as well.

Smile

I have had Ford Rangers. I had a '90 that I put 250,000 with no problems, change the oil and do the reccemended sevice. Then in '95 I bought Dodge Ram and put 240,000 on it, had tranny problems. Bought a used 2000 Ford Ranger had 10,000 miles on it and I turned 110,000 last week. Takes a beating and keeps moving.

Love my Fords.
    Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.