Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: crosscut sled - make or buy?

crosscut sled - make or buy?

any suggestions here?

i seem to routinely cross cut 15-25 inch boards, and my sled just got ruined in a small flood. ( i had it on the floor. no.no.) i wasn't real happy with the sled, it was homemade in a hurry.

so what are the good options out there?
    spend the time to make a good one? (plans?)
    buy one?

Build it. A sled is such a simple thing that it isn't worth the hassle of buying one. The only small challenge is setting the fence at 90 degrees. Search around on this forum, and you'll find several different approachs.

I really like the integrated stopblock in this design from Woodsmithshop.

While I really love the lightness of this design, the problem is that there's no cutoff support. You could make a dropoff piece that sits stationary in the 2nd miter slot, but the only benefit of this vis-a-vis a 2-runner system is that it's easier to make (since you don't have to glue 2 runners simultaneously to the bottom of the sled)

Every design I've seen uses 3/4" stock for the deck. I don't understand why. I prefer to use 1/4" hardboard. It's lighter and smoother than ply, and allows you to cut taller stock. Of course, for stability, then you gotta add a leading fence. I like THAT idea too, bkz then you can straddle the 2 fences with lexan to make a blade guard.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm a "build" fan for this kind of thing, Julie. There is a very nice article in a recent issue of Fine Woodworking for a great cross cut sled design, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This one has lasted for 2-3 years (pic 1, shown squaring a table top). The reason I make them heavy is so that neither the workpiece nor blade will deflect the tracking. This one is 24 X 36, uses an Incra track and hangs on a couple if nails. If it were a 2 runner sled, it would have to have tall & heavy fore and aft fences to hold it together (pic2).

Joe

Julie,
    This is something you need to make. As a matter of fact... can you buy one? Incra makes a sled similar to the PDF file shown here but it is expensive. My advise is find some simple plans (I stress simple). Make your own and be very carful to get it square.
    It will help you build your skills and going with the very simple, you can easily modify your next one to suit your needs. You will build many of these over the years as they wear out or you see the need for new accessories or different sizes.

as for plans see these links. Caution, possibilities are almost endless:

http://www.geotekds.com/sled/index.htm

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/howto_crosscut.htm

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/tablesaw/crosscut-sled/

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/05/30/toolcribcoms-ultimate-guide-to-the-crosscut-sled/
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I'll second Mr. Becker on this. Just got it yesterday.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Hi Julie,
    Like many things, the answer is it depends. I wanted one sled for as many functions as I could integrate.
    Personally I made one. BB 3/4 ply for the base. Yes it limits the thickness you can cut, but not like I cross cut any 2 by stuff.
    I used a front and rear fence (Incra track that allows for use of stop blocks and has a T track slot etc) with 2 T tracks on each side of the blade. Straddling the blade allows for a shield to be installed over the blade and supports the drop-off cut nicely.
    The blade kerf is dead center which some what limits the cross cut length some, but with 4 hold downs in the T track I still cross cut 40+ inches easily. I can fit up to a 24" wide piece between fences & the double T tracks allow for making miters etc etc etc.
    I purchased Incra runners for the sled so as to not have to fiddle with wood ones or make any out of something like uhmw.
    Also used 1/4" MDF for a changeable kerf plate.
    Were I to buy one I'd most likely buy the Incra 5000 or Miter Express.
    Dubby sleds are one ya never hear anything bad about either.

Greg

Julie,

Build your sled...Norm has some really good plans out there for a really good crosscut sled. It doesn't cost a lot, and it probably took no more than an hour to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    ...it probably took no more than an hour to build.
    I always find a way to make 'hour' long projects last 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I always find a way to make 'hour' long projects last 2 days.
    i'm with you on that one, shawn.

my original thought was that if i bought it - it might be lighter. my old sled, which was easy enough to make, was a bear to use. HEAVY. and i wasn't real happy with it.

but i used wood slides and a wood fence, perhaps i could use other materials. i will take a look at the plans mentioned above.

i need a fairly large sled - big enough to support for a 40-60 inch long panel 24 inches wide. i've had to cut these sizes for several projects the past few months...

Build it for sure. Go to the Highland Hardware website. They have step by step plans to build one and it's a good one. They tell in detail how to insure it's square.

I hear you on the weight issue. That's what I hated about my last one.

A single-runner model might work better for you. I'd still clamp a support piece (or lock it down in the miter slot) on the cutoff side.

This will make the sled significantly lighter to position on the saw, and to push through. It'll also eliminate the need for a leading fence.

It may also allow you to use it with the guard/splitter in place.

Build the trailing fence wide enough to support on top a couple toggle clamps for holding stock down.

Go with the 1/4" hardboard on the deck...

I built mine and use it all the time. In fact I'll probably build a larger/better one shortly. But I'm dedicating my change jar to saving for an Incra Miter 5000. Seems to me that would cover sled use AND give a great way to cut miters...

Julie,

I would make one. I'm off today and I'm going to make a 2 runner sled. This is my preference for single versus double runners. If your looking to trim wide panels make a single runner sled. Then you only need the back fence. If your looking to crosscut smaller pieces to size make a 2 runner sled. When cross cutting I like the sled to carry the work versus having it drop off the sled and possible catch the saw blade.

I'm going to use a piece of 1/2 baltic birch. Its always nice to have some baltic birch around for jigs. Its stable and flat and not heavy like 3/4 plywood or mdf.

Note: The finewoodworking.com site has a bunch of plans for various sleds. You might need to subscribe to see them though. I pay a yearly fee but I think its worth it.

~mark