Thread: Latest piece - critique, please

Latest piece - critique, please

Here's my latest attempt. A friend gave me this piece of cherry from a large branch which had apparently died a couple of years ago while still on the tree. He took this piece to see if I would like the wood. Heck, yes, I responded - FREE WOOD! And very hard wood, too. Anyway, the shape is basically what he gave to me - then it was just a flat chunk - all I did was the lathe work to thin it's cross section and make the bowl. The winged look is, as I say, as it was handed to me. It has been sanded to 220, and I have put 5 coats of Teak oil on it, and will give it more this week. I'm wondering what kind of finish coat to put over that to help the bark stay on - any ideas? Oh, yes - I did stain the edges dark with Mixol Dunkelbraun mixed in the oil for two coats, then plain oil over that. Dimensions are 11.5" long, 6" wide, 2" tall. Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-24-2008 at 7:53 PM.

Mike that had to be a great test to see if your lathe would stay attached to the floor. Nothing like a 11" wing to make things wobble. Neat looking piece, the foot looks a little boxy for my taste....winged is just a lot of fun to turn...Bruce
    It really reminds me of the last mesquite winged bowl I turned, loved it from the top, but the bottom reminded me of a hat. But I had fun turning it, thats whats important. Winged and HF I seem to be hooked on lately. Great job!!!

Mike it is a good looking piece. I agree the foot is to boxy and I would have removed it plus made the wings thinner but that is just my taste. After it dries I would use some spray on poly especially on the bark.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mike - that sure is some good looking wood! I think your overall idea of form is right on - but have to agree with the previous statements: thinner wings and either totally lose the foot or cut it down so it is not such a prominent feature. Bernie's idea of a spray poly would work great - just make sure you allow enough time for the oil that has been already applied to cure first - or you will have a real gummy mess!

Nice work Mike - looking forward to your next turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

thanks, guys, i appreciate the feedback. it was my intent, with this piece, to get away from what was discussed in another thread - 'the modern form' and it's evolution, which of course will eventually change given the nature of aesthetic sensibilities. i wanted this finished piece to reflect it's beginning (which naturally no one but my friend and i saw) - rough, coarse, even bucolic - but with the softness that a finished piece should have. looking forward to more postings and more critiques, mike
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 07-25-2008 at 7:32 AM.