Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the Pittsburgh Woodcraft?

What happened to the Pittsburgh Woodcraft?

Hi All,

I have been out of the loop for a long time. I recieved an email from Woodcraft that the Pittsburgh store had closed. Does anyone know why? I moved about 2 hours away so I hadn't been in for a long time.

TIA
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I live 2hrs away too but I stopped there often, I received a letter a few days ago telling me and offering free shipping for a few months.

Bob

I heard it was because all their customers moved 2 hours away. haha
    Ron Conlon

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Conlon View Post
    I heard it was because all their customers moved 2 hours away. haha
    Sorry, I know this doesn't answer your question - but that's funny

Be well,

Doc

Blog Entries
    That's exactly what I was going to say. All their customers moved or quit buying stuff.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to say. All their customers moved or quit buying stuff.
    I admit -- I'm guilty of this. I used to go there when I lived two hours away as well (Edinboro, PA). Now I live more like twelve.

Seriously, is there anyone here from Pittsburgh who went there? Or was it just all of us people commuting a couple of hours?

Cheers,

Chris

Ron: That is funny

Don and Lee: Glad to see some familiar faces as I haven't posted in a long time.

I guess I better patronize the Rockler in Ross Park as it is the only store left.

Does anyone know of any other WW stores in Western PA/ Eastern OH?
    Chuck

"You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I hope we don't start seeing a lot more of these closing around the country. I know a lot of my tool/project money is going in the gas tank and towards other necessary things that have been going up in price. Not that tools and projects aren't necessary.

I have noticed a number of small business locally that are struggling and some that have closed. A friend in the restaurant business says his business is way down and knows others in the business that are struggling to make it. This seems to be hitting gas stations quite hard. Quite a few locally have closed, those with convenience stores seem to be fairing better.

Greg

I have found myself buying things from Woodcraft mail order. I have a store about 1/2 hour away but with gas prices why drive across town. First off most anything I need or want they don't stock or out. If I place my order before 2pm I have it the next day by 10am.

Woodcraft

I've talked to several Woodcraft store franchisees who tell me their biggest competitor is the Woodcraft internet site.

The biggest problem I've seen over the years is that Woodcraft generally had the highest price on any given product. To be fair, I found a few items at a store when I had been unable to find them elsewhere, but I would only go to that store when visiting a friend because of the distance.

I have to admit to being very anal about comparing prices among vendors prior to making purchases. My loyalty goes to my wallet, not a vendor. I've purchased from all of the usual woodworking vendors online, but only if a given vendor has the best price including shipping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

i, too, moved 2 hours away! hahahah!

i am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my partner and i had several problems shopping there - poor service, bad attitude, and a horrible horrible experience waiting 3 months - with no contact unless we called and hassled them - for a large tool only to call corporate and have it delivered the next day because they had multiple in stock.

we had bad interactions with some people there and then just stopped going even if we where in the area.

the e-mail from corporate didn't sound like they were too happy about the situation. describing it as sudden...

we've had good service from the web/catalog/800 number, with shipping often same or next day. which is really nice when you need some thing asap.

cheers,
    julie

Given that almost all the Woodcraft stores are now franchises, either they failed as a business or had their chit revoked. Either one could very well apply these days.

But I suspect that even the best of these stores is going to be a tough business if the economy stays as it is or gets worse. Woodcraft and similar caters primarily to the hobbyist from a volume standpoint and as folks pull back on non-essential spending, paying the store rent is going to get difficult. So if you have one near you and like them, be sure that what you do spend on your avocation helps them out. The business owners need to know that their customers appreciate them. It could mean the difference between cutting the cord early or taking a chance...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I live outside Boston and patronize the store in Woburn. Yes, sometimes I could get something for a little less money on the internet, but I am interested in seeing a local store stay around. I like to be able to touch and feel the tools prior to purchase, it would be folly to look at the tool locally and then try to order it for $5 less on the internet, wastes my time and if everyone did that then the local store would close next week.

But if as some people mentioned that the service was poor or the attitude was bad, then that would be a different story. Sorry to hear that about the former Pittsburg store. The store we have here is great, the people are very nice and not the least bit pushy about purchasing things.

And I am no fan whatsoever of Rockler, too many unneccessary Rockler jigs and very few actual tools for sale there. Woodcraft carries a lot of quality brands, I can choose between Clifton, LN and LV planes for example (as well as several Japanese planes).

My $0.02

Thanks All,

It is a shame to hear that the service dropped off. I always had great service there. I believe that their prices were competitive given the rent on the store was high.

The manager would work with me if I needed something.

I like to be able to hold something before I buy it and am willing to pay a premium for it.

Unfortunately I have been selling more tools than buying the last year or so.

Still interested in the details if anyone comes accross any.
    Chuck