Thread: Trend Airshield

Trend Airshield

I did a search but all reviews seem to be old. I would like any likes or dislikes on the unit after extended use. Is it comfortable enough to use all the time or is it something after the newness wears off it will just sit on the bench?

Hi Dave,
    I have owned one for about 3.5 years now. Always wear it when Dust can get airborne, also wear it when turning. No Sawdust buggers, no sneezing, no soar throat, no coughing.
    Kind of a shame that this kind of safety gear is usually the last addition to ones woodworking arsenal.
    Others may reply about the government ratings on different models. All good advice, just get something.

Best regards,
    Larry
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

3. I use the Triton powered respirator

I have been very happy with this one...http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...respirator.htm

one of the best things I have bought for my WW hobby. I find I use it sometimes even when I don't need it just to stay cool.
    Larry

I've had one for a couple of years. It works well and even in the summer heat, it moves enough air my glasses don't fog up.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I did a search but all reviews seem to be old. I would like any likes or dislikes on the unit after extended use. Is it comfortable enough to use all the time or is it something after the newness wears off it will just sit on the bench?
    Dave,
    Took a class at Woodcraft and very experienced instructor couldn't say enough good about the Trend Airshield. I'm thinking of buying one. Wish it had attachable ear protection, but that doesn't come until you get the "airshield pro" which is another $100 or so and then the ear protection is another $60.
    Here's a web site with it for $239, about $60 cheaper than Woodcraft ......
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/search.php
    they also have the accessories and spare batteries for cheaper. I saw one on Ebay for $249 I think.

I have owned the Trend for a number of years, Dave, and have generally been pleased with it. I only use it for turning work, however. It's important to remember that this is not a NIOSH approved device. Rather, it's helpful for nuisance dust control as well as for having a mask that doesn't fog up during use. One must still wear safety glasses under it, too.

If you need real dust control for medical reasons, etc., you're not going to get that with something like the Trend or Triton. You have to move up the stack to one of the NIOSH systems from 3M or similar...and pay big bucks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's important to remember that this is not a NIOSH approved device.
    Hmm, hadn't realized that. So does that mean that a simple N95, N99, or N100 mask will be more effective (if fitted properly)?

I have had the "Pro" for about 3 months. Originally bought for turning, I find I reach for it all the time: sanding, mixing powdered glues, blowing out the shop, etc. Don't know about NIOSH or the European equivalent, but Trend advertises that it meets some standard over there for respiratory protection. The back of my throat after a long sanding session tells me it works just fine. It's very comfortable to wear, works with glasses (!) and seems well made. The unit is pricey, but if it lasts for a long time, I think the amortized cost will be reasonable from my standpoint.

Rob:

No it doesn't mean that it is not as good as the mask you listed it means that they haven't paid to have them tested here yet.

As you pointed out FIT with a mask is of paramount importance.

I have horrible grass allergies and didn't want to go through converting the European standards to compare them to the 3M that is OSHA and HIOSH approved.

Servral people like the Trend and have now had it for several years. (it was new on the market when I bought the 3M)

The other thing to consider if you will be using it for turning is the hard hat and face shield on the 3M is OSHA approved.

Take all of these things into consideration with your priorities for your purchase. The 3M was a little over double over the cost of the trend. Compare online for the best price. If you have any questions about the 3M feel free to contact me.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery