Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth picking up a smaller 12V or 14V drill?

Worth picking up a smaller 12V or 14V drill?

I've got an 18V Ryobi drill and impact driver and I've been very happy with them, but I think that sometimes an additional drill would come in handy. You always see Norm using a smaller drill (12V maybe) when he's assembling cabinets and what not, so that made me wonder if it's worth picking up a smaller drill. There's a Porter Cable 14V and Dewalt 12V (each with 2 batteries and charger) for sale locally for about $20 each and that price is very tempting!

I was wondering if you guys have been in a similar situation and felt the need for and additional small drill, or if they end up not being as handy as you'd hope. As far as brands too, I figure you can't really go wrong with these.

Thanks for the input!

take a look at the Ryobi 12v lithium , I picked one up to use as a screw gun and have been very happy with it

Very compact and light weight , variable speed , lots of torque for driving screws . The Lion batteries are great .

its become a "favorite , daily user " tool for me

http://www.ebuild.com/articles/637019.hwx

http://www.newsday.com/ny-0jwyrxas20...,3279727.photo
    Last edited by skip coyne; 07-27-2008 at 7:27 PM.

I would wait until you can get a second 18V Ryobi kit (drill, battery, charger) on sale. That way you have interchangeable batteries. I got one for $40 at Christmas and another for $30 around fathers day.

Michael

I have had the same Dewalt 12v cordless for over 12 years( Model DW972). It's a great drill. It will torque a screw though 3/4" subflooring quite easily. Problem is that the batteries are fairly expensive, even to have rebuilt.
    If that is a 12v Dewalt, with good batteries, it's a steal for $20.00. Replacement batteries for it were ~ $60.00 each retail last I looked.
    I also have a Dewalt Model 980, 12v cordless. It's a nice drill also, but the DW972 is the better of the two.

Don't know anything about the Porter Cable though.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-27-2008 at 7:37 PM.

18v's and such is usually overkill for inside shop work.

Outside, for decks and such, yes they are fine.

Inside I use 10.8 and 14.4 bosch drills

The reason I went with 14.4 instead of 12v on my lager drills, the drills are the same footprint, and just a few bucks more for the added power

I've never seen the need to have a big clumsy heavy 18V or larger cordless drill. I got by for years with a 9.6V DeWalt and only replaced it with a 14.4V because I got a great deal on one. It's one thing if you used one all day long and needed the run time but for shop use those big guys are just overkill.

A second drill never goes astray. My family owns two cordless drills and a corded drill. Our logic was simple -- we needed his and hers drills for a lot of the work around the house. Beyond woodworking, we have found it convenient to have two drills around the house. With two drills available, I have found it convenient in the shop.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I own a 14.4v Dewalt and a 12v Festool. The latter gets most of my use...powerful, but with a nice size and weight for the job. The 18v units are very nice, but probably better suited to construction duty for both the power and added weight.

I think you'll find that once you aquire a nice 12 or 14.4 (or 15v if you do the Panasonic or Festool), you'll use it much more than the larger, heavier tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have 3 cordless and 2 corded. I could do without 1 of each but that would be minimum comfort for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have my eye on the 10.8v Bosch drill/driver. I'm just thinking it would be nice to use something a little smaller and lighter.

I have a 12V Porter Cable and a 14.4v Ryobi. I like the balance of both other than the chuck on the Ryobi which I can never seem to get tight enough. I had the batteries for both rebuilt by Battery Rebuilders and since then the Ryboi is comparable to the PC other than that chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    I have my eye on the 10.8v Bosch drill/driver. I'm just thinking it would be nice to use something a little smaller and lighter.
    +1

The little bosch is truly a handy little guy. I've got a corded drill, three full size drills or drivers, and three of the little boschs. I think I reach for the little bosch guys more than anything.

Why three? I had the little driver and had been lusting for the little impact driver. Then, a deal popped up--might still be around--buy one get another driver for free. Couldn't pass that up... Besides, since I never clean up, there is always one within arms reach.

Worth Waiting For?

The new Makita 10.8 volt kit might be worth waiting for (end of August, I believe). Press release here:

http://www.makita.com/co_news_pr_det...d=MAKPR0714135

And then there's the Ridgid R82007, which looks like one of the new generation 10.8 volt compact drivers, but has a regular chuck like a drill.

cute li'l Bosch

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    I have the PS40 impactor & PS20 drill/driver. Keep a instybit drill/countersink in one, driver bit in the other. Harbor Freight makes a hex shank bit set 1/16"-1/4". It'd be nice if the PS20 turned faster, I think it turns around 400 RPM which is slow for small twist drills but It does work.

Curt

I thought about the PS40, but figured it was a little heavier and had the downside of the noise, plus it costs more, so I'm leaning toward the PS20. For those who have both, which do you find you use more?