Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever bought too much tool?

Ever bought too much tool?

While in the process of building a batch of plant stands, I decided it might be time to upgrade from the el cheapo $99 benchtop combo sander. Thus began the process that led to actually considering a $1500 edge sander, floor model. Fortunately I regained my senses (and if I hadn't my wife would have found them for me, I'm sure), and realized that what I needed to do - for now at least - could easily be handled with the equipment I currently own.

Now, at some point in the future, an edge sander might just be what I need. But then again, I'd also like a compressor, a Panasonic cordless drill, a Bosch jig saw, and a drum sander. I guess it should also be pointed out that I don't do woodworking professionally, so investing in a bunch of heavy duty machinery right away isn't really a practical, or even necessary thing for me. I figure the best thing is to buy as I need. The point is, it is amazingly easy to take the smallest inconvenience on a job and turn it into an excuse for blowing a whole bunch of moolah on those shiny tools with all those bells and whistles that we've been drooling over since we first watched Norm crank out a project in that big ol' shop of his.

So have you ever fallen prey to the Urge to Splurge, when deep down you really know you could have been a little wiser with your budget?

It's easy to do. But here's the thing. You might not "need" the bigger machine but you will never regret having it. I have always been opposed to the idea of buying a lot of cheap (and usually much lower quality) tools instead of buying a few more expensive (but much better quality) tools. Budget? Logic? Those are the concerns of the rational man and have little meaning for the true tool junkie....
    David DeCristoforo

Interesting Question

Mini Max 8.5 ft slider, MM 20 bandsaw, MM 16 Jointer/Planer, Delta Drill Press, Oliver wood lathe, Southbend metal lathe, Moore Jig Borer, benchtop CNC milling machine, couple of dust collectors, $5K in misc hand tools, no I guess I've never bought more tool than I need. Got my eye on a couple more metal working machines.

Cheap tools are definitely something I avoid (okay, except for that combo sander), and I do try to keep the future in mind. But with a limited amount of space for the foreseeable future, there's a limit to the amount of industrial-sized machinery I can get in there and still manage to move.

And as much as I'd love to spare no expense, I just can't always buy Festool or Powermatic. I know there are a lot of guys out there who advise to make price no object, and I have to respect their experience and wisdom, but it just doesn't fit my reality right now. So I use what I've got, and fill my piggy bank until I can go get that high-quality tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broestler View Post
    . . . Thus began the process that led to actually considering a $1500 edge sander, floor model. . . .
    Spend a few extra bucks and be sure to get the oscillating model. It's really worth it. You don't want to cheat yourself when you are spending nearly two grand.

I haven't spent too much on a tool yet, but I hope to some day. Actually, I was just paging through the Grizzly Catalog and looked at one of those Oscillating Edge/Spindle Sanders (between $1500 and $1750 depending on how honest you feel you need to be when you calculate shipping and accessories). I know I could have saved about eight hours in the shop if I had one of those. And I know I could use it on many other projects.

Now I'm considering replacing my 30 year old 3/8" power drill with a finicky trigger and/or my cheap 3x21 belt sander which burns my hand when used for more than a few minutes.

The important thing is that I'm having fun out in the shop and getting some stuff made. Going cheap is better than not going at all.
    Last edited by John Schreiber; 07-29-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: forgot the real point
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

"...I just can't always buy Festool..."

Well, I have a pretty big shop and I do this "for a living" and I still choke on the price of Festool stuff...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    The important thing is that I'm having fun out in the shop and getting some stuff made. Going cheap is better than not going at all.
    That's about how I see it.

And I was looking seriously at that Grizzly sander too. Put that one on the wish list.

There is no such thing as too much tool. Period

Terry

No such thing. Like others have already mentioned it just comes down to balancing your needs with your budget, expectations....and patience. I'm still a relative newbie, but one thing I've known from other hobbies (and that I've already been reminded of with woodworking) is that you'll never regret having the right tool for the job (after the initial $$ pain to buy it). Like many before me, I'm also finding more "bang for my buck" with vintage power tools. I only have my Uni now, but someday when I have the space I'll be looking for some more old iron.

Just last night I was finally putting my new smoothing plane to work on its first real project. It was a bit pricey, but I'm sure I had an ear to ear grin while I was making those nice 2" wide whispy shavings you can read through. I quickly forgot about the initial purchase price...

I've never bought too much tool, I have however bought too little tool, several times. (Slow learner).

Yes, I could have made a router table instead of purchasing a shaper, however I've never said "Gee, this shaper doesn't do what I want, I wish I had purchased a router table"

I'm always tempted to use the "of course I'll build you a new bird feeder Dear. I'll head out to the machinery supplier and buy that shaper I was looking at so I can round over the edges of the wood. We don't want those cute birds getting any slivers do we"?

Of course at my house the above logic isn't required.

In threads of this sort, many people report that their wife puts the brakes on shop purchases.

I have the opposite problem, Diann always encourages me to purchase the better, more expensive, or larger unit.

Lets see, so far she's encouraged me to purchase an Oneida cyclone, a wood lathe, and a Hammer A3-31.

Note that in all of the above I was replacing existing machinery (Some of it General), so it wasn't an absolute requirement.

Oh yeah, she also made the final argument for the last vintage bike I purchased, a 1930 500cc James with acetylene lighting.

Of course, this thread actually begs the question "How could you have too much tool"?

Regards, Rod.

I buy tools I can grow into, not out of. Consequently, I've always had tools above or at my skill level, not below it.

Bigger IS better.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I don't know if you can buy "too much tool" from a quality/power perspective, but you can certainly buy a tool that is physically too large for your space. If someone were to give me a 12 inch jointer for FREE, I would have to give it back because I would not have anywhere in my shop to put it. Space may be infinite where the universe is concerned, but that is not true in my shop.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Yes you can certainly buy "too much tool".... for instance, if your trying to figure out how to fit your newly acquired 38" Buss planer in your 2 car garage, that's too much tool! There are many industrial machines that are just not practical for small shops.
    On the other hand if you have the room and budget for a machine, then I always vote for the best you can afford. It's much simpler if your making a living out of it as tools pay for themselves, and buying a cheap tool is a poor investment.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I buy tools I can grow into, not out of. Consequently, I've always had tools above or at my skill level, not below it.
    Good advice Mitchell. I like that one as I've learned that one the same way you did (most likely).

I too like Rod, have no resistance from the bride. She'd rather me get whatever it is I think I want and not have to live with me after buying what I could get by with.
    Budget? Uhhh, no matter what the budget is... ya spend it all and then find a way to come up with the rest of the $. In the mean time, ya still are putting things on the "I want list" I bet.....
    Logic....? What is that word and why is it being used when talking about buying things 10% to 50% of an automobile sales price that see 0.0005% of the use. Most of us are weekend warriors at best..... and the tool collections only see a few hours of use a week at best.
    In all seriousness, there is no such thing as a waste on anything so long as you use it & get the restults you desire.

Greg

I would say that "wrong tool" is possible. But I'll take "too much tool" over "too little" or "poor quality" tool any day.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...