Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever bought too much tool?

Interesting thread....

I've always bought what was within my budget, what got the job done, and hope it lasts long enough till I croak and the wife can auction everything off with it all still being presentable and usable.

Yes I've bought some cheaper stuff, and regretted it. But it wasn't machinery.

Balance is a virtue. Budgets are real. Space is real. Keep it simple, buy what you need, and then make sure each purchase is a "lifer". I listen to other people's advice not to be convinced to buy the most expensive and expansive, but to find the sweet spots.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    Too much tool???? That's like saying Too Big of a TV. It just isn't possible.
    With all due respect, that's not a comparison that I can relate to! Though I like large tools.........I wouldn't have a large TV in my home if someone gave it to me. 'Course, I rarely watch TV.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    With all due respect, that's not a comparison that I can relate to! Though I like large tools.........I wouldn't have a large TV in my home if someone gave it to me. 'Course, I rarely watch TV.
    I also haven't had TV for the last decade or so but I do watch movies that LOML rents at her place. A guy who worked for me had a TV so big you couldn't watch it; his room wasn't big enough to let you get that far away. It was worse than the front row at the theatre. This would be like putting a full blown multi-machine in a 10 x 15 basement, eh?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well, for me, it was simpler.

I bought a (then) top of the line Makita 12 V drill.

It lasted until the batteries were starting to go, at which point I sold it on CL and bought my current Ryobi 18 V Lithium.

The Makita was used hard for 5 years and never broke a sweat. So rather than spend Makita money again, I thought I'd go down a level and see how I fared. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Working on it. I suggest you buy high quality used on the larger tools. Time to sell you won't lose much if anything.
    If you were pro would have to say you probably couldn't afford to wait for used and with the tax write off new might cost less.

Think about it this way, if you buy a tool that is inadequate, you will either continue to use it at a loss of productivity, or you will take a loss on it, sell it, and buy what you needed all along.

So paying more to get a better tool than you need will more than likely save you money.

If woodworking is a hobby for you get nice tools. Stay away from junk brands or tools made for consumers who use them once (black and decker etc...) If you have the time get some older machinery and fix it up. Most of the time it is better than most new equipment.

If your a professional cheap or undersized tools will only cost you money.

Go big or go home! (Within reason,) I''d like one of those table saw jointer planer combo's SMC or Felder I think, but I don't have the room you will regret buying an underpowered underspec'd machine.
    Regards
    Pete

Face it. When it comes to bigger better tools, most of us are like deer in the headlights and I suspect it's been that way since Ogg lusted after that nicer piece of flint, Binford 2000 Atlatl, and HVLP cave painting airbrush. It's in our genes.
    Use the fence Luke

Hello,
    Ever bought too much tool?
    Frequently.
    I doubt anyone alive hasn't at more than a few times bought "more" simply because they felt it would be better.

I've also managed a few time to resist the urge to splurge and have gone a more sensible route.

Latest?

A $44.00 Starrett job site protractor.
    Nice tool. Very nice tool.
    The $4.97 plastic protrator I picked up at Lowes is also a nice tool.
    It's every bit as accurate as the Starrett.
    'course I didn't know that until after I verified it with the Starrett .

Bottom line - few regrets on either. I'll use the cheapie for everyday use, and when/if it gets chewed up, I'll replace it w/another - and check it against the Starrett.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

And about that debt issue

One big part of the discussion - are you talking about cash or credit?

If you save up for a great tool, super! If you put it on a credit card (Without paying it off each month) you have to consider what you will spend on that tool month after month, year after year, in interest that keeps you from more purchases and peace of mind in the future.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Maybe

The '81 craftsman/belsaw planer I got mondya night might qualify, turns out it has a 5 HP motor and the manual calls for a 40 Amp breaker. Well my entire shop is run off a 40 Amp subpanel

Here's hoping that is just build in overhead on startup and it runs around 20 so i can run my DC at the same time.

Other than that maybe, just maybe, my 35 HP Diesel tractor with front end loader and backhoe (to go alongside our '39 Ford 9N which does the bush hogging). So far I've only used it to move a large dirt pile, spread some gravel and clear out a 200' ditch, but that day, many years from now, when I go to add onto the house I'll be able to dig my own footers and trench my utilities (only waiting on sewer!)

But if we ever have a tractor pull I might be able to beat some of my neighbors now
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'll share a funny story. I've been an avid WW for 30 years. About 15 years ago one of the top Intel execs decided to do WW. I knew him a little socially and he knew that I was a WW. He ask for advice on what router to buy. We talked about what he was going build, if we was going to have only 1 router, or more than one, etc. After several conversations he decided to get a 3HP PC router. I forget the model number, but it was the one before the 7518, the first really big router. I bought one for him and when he came to pick it up, he just stared at it for like 30 seconds

I asked if it were too large, and he said no, and quickly left. 6 months later I was at his house and I saw the router unused on a bench.

BTW, his kind of wealth and wacky nature led him to build a custom house around a workshop before he knew he really liked WW. He had an 8,000 sq ft house with a 3,000 workshop in the middle of the house. The house had two bedrooms. A 2,000 sq ft master, and a 54 sq ft closet with a prison style bed in it and a bare light bulb with a pull chain on the ceiling. The not so thinly veiled message was, "I don't want guests". When I asked about possible resale value, he mumbled that it was something his heirs would have to worry about. I estimated that back then he had over $400M in Intel stock so I guess he didn't have to worry much.

If overbuying is defined as a tool that you will grow into but never out grow, than I am guilty. I upgraded from a contractor saw to a Unisaw and an 8" jointer from a 6". I will probably upgrade to a 15" planer and an edge sander is on my list also. I will buy something which will be the last tool I buy within my budget. A lot of my tool budget comes from side jobs. Did my previous tools do the job before I upgraded them? Yes they did. For me the tools are about as much of the experience as woodworking itself. I also don't get to spend that much time in the shop and I want it to be as stress free and fun as possible. Messing with fussy tools is not on my agenda anymore.

Now will I ever buy a 52" wide belt sander or a 10 HP cyclone? It's not likely. My income prevents that. I think that is a good guage for me at least. If I can afford it and enjoy using it then it is not too big of tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    He had an 8,000 sq ft house with a 3,000 workshop in the middle of the house.
    Now I don't suppose you have access to any pics of the shop, do you Joe? I'll bet it's a sight to see.

Wonder if he's still wwing.
    Where did I put that tape measure...