Thread: Proposal: Stanley plane parts swap thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Proposal: Stanley plane parts swap thread

Let me start with a little background...
    I am not a plane collector, though I have aspirations of one day having a set of user planes either 2 through 8 or 602 through 608.

Inspired by my Dad, who was building a strip built kayak, about 3 years ago I started picking up planes at garage sales and flea markets. My rule of thumb has been no more than $5 for a plane. Recently I've upped that to $10 if the plane has zero damage. I've ended up with 4 fully fettled user planes (one of which went to my Dad as a gift), two more complete planes ready for fettling, and half a dozen planes in various states of repair. These parts planes range from needing only the lateral adjustment lever to be complete, through cracked castings, to needing nearly everything but the body and frog.

Given that I've accumulated this "parts collection" on the cheap, I am disinclined to mess around with ebay for either buying or selling. I don't like ebay for a whole host of reasons I don't need to list here.

So, what is the best way to both get the parts I need to complete some planes, as well as pass on to others the parts I won't need and which are adding to the clutter in my shop? Reviewing other posts in this forum, and others, it seems I'm not the only one out there in this boat.

My idea is for a venue something along the lines of a site my wife participates in called paperback swap. On that site you post a list of books you want and a list of books you will trade. When you have a book someone wants, you send it to them. When someone has a book you want, they send it to you. The site keeps track of how many you have sent and received, and keeps it so you never receive more than you send out. Books are evenly swapped one for one.

An exactly analogous system would probably not work for hand plane parts. Replacement rear totes are more highly in demand, for example, than replacement lever caps. It would be up to the individuals involved to determine their swaps. But, we could at least post lists of the parts we want and the parts we are offering for trade. I'm willing to bet something like this would help other people complete their partial planes as well as clearing out clutter.

So, what does the community think? Would this be a useful thing? Would you be willing to swap your surplus parts for parts you need? If so, I'll get the ball rolling by posting some of my surplus parts as well as a want list. When listing offered parts, I would list the plane Type the parts are from, their description, their condition, and post pictures. Swaps could be arranged via PM to keep the thread uncluttered. To keep the thread from being overwhelmed with "wanted" lists, you have to offer more parts than you need. When items are no longer available, they would be removed by the original posters. And no selling prices listed. While people could offer to buy parts from offerers, if they had nothing to trade, the main intent is to facilitate swapping.

This thread could reside in this forum, or in the marketplace forum.

Feedback?
    Todd F.
    Last edited by Todd Ferrante; 07-29-2008 at 4:41 PM.