Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to vent.....

I need to vent.....

I'll give you the background story. So I like making bowls, and I have planned on going semi-pro for a couple years. I haven't gone to any shows because 2 years ago I got married, moved to a new house, didn't have the shop set up yet, etc....

There is an annual craft fair only a few blocks from my house with 200 booths, and 15,000 people in one day. I hadn't planned on entering, but about a month ago I decided to inquire. The voice mail message said there were still openings. Yippee, right? Wrong.

Left a message with the craft fair director......
    A week later, left another message.
    A week later sent an e-mail.

I just got a call from her today. She pretty much admitted there was no excuse for her not returning my messages. Yet, she still had a few openings! I wonder why. If I had been called immediately I probably would have entered, but now I don't have the time to prepare enough finished pieces. If I am lucky I would be able to take 25 bowls. But I would be finishing them all at the same time, and I would still have to make a booth setup. It's just not possible by Sept. 9.

Have any of you had a similar experience? I doubt it, and I feel obligated to go above the director's head and explain the reason why they are struggling to fill booths.

Okay, I am done now. But I am still disappointed.

Hutch

Matt - feel your pain! I've yet to do a show and haven't quite gotten to the point where I feel I am ready for one - but the last thing in the world you want to have happen when first starting out is hassles. I don't know how fast you can make your bowls, how many you already have on hand - but you could get some great exposure and take orders. Maybe they can offer you some major discount on the price of a booth. Has to be some way to turn this around to work in your favor!

Keep us informed! Best of luck on your decision!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Readiness

The readiness factor is big. It was a last minute decision to begin with, and to have to rush the final turning process could be disastrous.

It's really a matter of planning ahead. Because I hadn't planned on doing a show this year, I haven't been pumping out rough bowls. I've got enough wood to feed Michigan's termite population for a year, but it's all in log form. Some of the best bowls I have just won't be dry by then.

You do have a good point though. The exposure would be great. I think I will finish as many bowls as I can, but if I can't get a discounted booth I may not bother. Even though a booth is only $140, if i have a shoddy looking booth I may give the wrong impression.

Hutch

With 200 booths and 15,000 people a day, the organizers probably have a lot going on and a lot of repeat vendors. If you want to do a show and you have the chance to do one that is that big and that close to home, I think I'd just bite my tongue and get going on it. No one is going to come begging you to be in their show until you get a little noteriety. And you won't get that without some hard work on you part along with swallowing a little pride. Good Luck on it!

Matt - I understand about being prepared and you absolutely want to create the correct 'first impression' when being exposed to the public for the first time. Then again, you have to ask yourself if anyone is ever really 100% ready for that jump. It is up to you - how you feel about your products and whether or not you are ready to get out there and promote yourself as a turner. Grand Rapids should be one heck of a nice market - lots of folks, lots of culture and even a few folks with money!

Not telling you to jump in - just give it some more thought. Do you have anyone near you (turning club) that can offer some real time advice as to what you can expect and what you need to do to prepare for such an event?

Like I said before - think about it. This is an opportunity - but if you truely are not ready, so be it - but learn what you need to do so you will be prepared for the next time!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 07-29-2008 at 8:28 PM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hehe

Well, it's not really a matter of pride, and I suppose I should be careful how I word things. However, I do feel that as a director of such a large show, if it takes over 3 weeks to return a phone call you could at least have a voice mail message that says you aren't readily available instead of "I check my messages every 3 to 5 days". And I do understand there must be a lot going on.

As unready and rushed as I may feel, my desire for perfection overshadows all. To be honest, my biggest concern is the dryness of my rough bowls. I don't want to be selling 10" bowls that are 1/8" out of round. It just seems a little amaturish. Although, if I can sell my monster cherry bowl that's been drying for over 2 years, I would be rolling in dough.

I think I will play it by ear. If I am able to get enough lathe time this weekend then I will go for it. I will definitely update as things go along. Thanks for the encouragement!

Hutch

Matt,
    Do it. Work on your booth - make it look good - take all the stuff you've got finished. The worst that could happen is you will sell everything!
    Also, how about taking some unfinished stuff if you need to fill the booth - show the process it takes to make a bowl - sell the steak and the sizzle. They're not buying just a bowl they are buying your hard work and skill to turn a hunk of wood into a beautiful work of art.

PS - I've been a sales rep forever - can you tell?

Matt: Just a thought. Take as many quality turnings as you can to sell but also take along some photo's of past work, some card's and pen and paper. Tell the folks you made a few to sell at the show but really do custom work. Take thier name and phone number and some other bits of info like what size they would like and wood, and then at your convenice get back with them. Give your card out because some may change their mind come Christmas or whatever and get in touch with you then.

I would also still go. A show that gets 15,000 in one day and only $140 for the space? That is pretty good. Most of the time they are better about getting back to you, but if it is a month to go to show time, and they have spaces to fill, it may not be that good of a show. A really good show will have no problem filling their spaces, and have a waiting list for others if there are any last minute cancellations. Do take business cards, have a calling list, and let them know things will be ready for Christmas.

As far as a bowl being out of round by 1/8 inch, a 16 inch bowl can easily move that much between wet and dry seasons. I have had plenty that are 3 to 5 inches out of round and had no trouble selling them: yes, they are turned on a lathe, but are turned green, allowed to dry and warp, then I sand and finish them. 'Oh, they are so organic!' Organic????? On, yea, that's it, organic.

robo hippy

An old saying from my former job came to mind when I read the OP:

Are you here to fish or drink coffee?

Do the show, do your best, and don't expect much.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Well, I live in a town that doesn't even have 15,000 people so I see an opportunity like that as something that I would take full advantage of, by myself, without letting a little thing like a ditsy organizer stand between me and 15,000 people looking at my bowls. I know a lot of turners that would consider 1,500 people a great day at an art fair.

For a $140 bucks and the desire to go semi-pro, I would dive in.
    If you base your readiness on someones lack of readiness you won't find your place. We've all seen your work, go for it.
    You didn't exactly ask for advice........... however,
    I eventually want to be where you are right now, and your post has given me some things to think about in preparing for the future. I want to eventually sell my turnings at shows and possibly a local gallery.

Good luck!!
    One Nation under God

Ahhhh.....Perspective

I am really thankful for the type of responses you all have given. I sometimes find myself thinking in terms of 'step 2', when I am only on 'step 1'.

I am so stingy with my money right now (my wife and I are both only working part time), but we have both made a commitment to each other's goals and dreams. She is behind me, even though we can't afford to lose $140. I can't go wrong!

Of course, in the big picture it is worth $140. If I am serious about making turning into a part time business, I just have to take the plunge.

I am excited now, and I can't wait to make more shavings!

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    snip....

I am excited now, and I can't wait to make more shavings!
    Atta-Boy. NOW you've got the right attitude!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Hutch a bit of advice. Do it now or you may not ever do it. Get'er done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.