Thread: There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS... until NOW...

Question There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS... until NOW...

Okay, so I just took delivery of a new Steel City cabinet saw. I'm very impressed with the way it was "crated" if you can call it that. It comes inside its own roll cage fer goodness sake. Steel City indeed.

It's so effective, in fact, that I wondered if I would need my hacksaw to get at it... then I noticed the nuts. So the roll cage is removed. No hack saw required...

So here's the stupid question. The saw is still sitting on the base of the shipping cage. There are little flanges sticking up here and there to keep it from sliding around in transit, but no obvious means of attachment to the saw itself. And yet, when I try to tip the saw up away from the base, it seems firmly attached. No obvious connection (mind you it's been a long day and the lighting in the garage isn't ideal) -- the base just won't "let go"...

Anybody have a clue? I'll even accept vague hints veiled in mockery...

Don't know about SC specifically but many of the machines I have had to uncrate over the years have had bolts that had to be removed from the bottom. Tilt the thing a bit and look at the underside (with a mirror?) and see if there are any bolts on the bottom. Betcha.

Stupid? Well now I would think it would be stupid to bolt a machine to a pallet from the underside and not put some sort of notice to that effect on the outside of the crate! Nonetheless....
    David DeCristoforo

Maybe look at bottom of the crate.

It may be bolted from the bottom. If the feet came un installed the Ill bet there are bolt going through the pallet and into the holes for the feet. Just a thought.
    It ain't broke untill I try to fix it!

The Steel City and Craftsman zip code cabinet saws are the same with the exception of a couple of the accessories that come with them.

There are indeed bolts underneath. My zip code cabinet saw came packaged the exact same way.... square steel tubing framework beneath the cardboard shipping box... I used the tubing to make a couple tool stands! Nothing goes to waste around here.

You'll love the saw by the way, I certainly love mine it's a pleasure to work with. A fellow down the road has a Unisaw that's about 20yrs old and I let him cut a couple pieces of hardwood on my zip code saw... he said he loves his unisaw but other than half a horsepower didn't much see or feel any difference... he really liked that bessie fence! Not sure the Steel City comes with that fence or not but likely as not it's a high quality fence non the less.

Congrats on your "score". Let us know how you like the saw.

Thanks guys, I'm sure you must be right, but why look when you can just ask about it on the Internet...

Tomorrow's another day... (duh)

I have never seen one of those in its crate/cage. Before removing it (and for anyone who has bought one of those two), could the base be modified (its metal? weld some tabs for wheels/leveler), to be a mobile base?

Yes, there are bolts underneath that securely hold it to a crate.

Bob, congratulations on your new saw. Please post some pictures. You could even include some of the steel cage.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

If you are looking to get rid of it, put it up on craigslist. I put it up for free and had 5 people contact me for it!

good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cavaliere View Post
    If you are looking to get rid of it, put it up on craigslist. I put it up for free and had 5 people contact me for it!
    hehe, at first I thought you were talking about the SAW... which I think I'll keep for a while...... but yes, the steel cage would probably be useful to somebody, and our dump charges by weight, so that's a great idea...

It's possible to use it as a base. Sit down with a cup of coffee and stare at it for a while. If there is a way.. it will probably come to you by observing with a clear mind.

Congratulations on the saw and I think you will be well pleased with not only the saw, but any customer service after the sale as this will be my 4th Steel City machine.. I just sold my Uni-saw and it is being replaced in 3 weeks with a Steel City 5 HP. Which model did you get, BTW?

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    I have never seen one of those in its crate/cage. Before removing it (and for anyone who has bought one of those two), could the base be modified (its metal? weld some tabs for wheels/leveler), to be a mobile base?
    Here's what I did with mine. Ply on top, casters on the bottom and cutoffs in between. Later I mounted my Woodrat, Leigh and Woodhaven jigs. By all means, put it on a mobile base. Every special order nut, bolt or spring will always hide under a stationary and heavy machine!

Last edited by Joe Scharle; 07-31-2008 at 3:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    It's possible to use it as a base. Sit down with a cup of coffee and stare at it for a while. If there is a way.. it will probably come to you by observing with a clear mind.

Congratulations on the saw and I think you will be well pleased with not only the saw, but any customer service after the sale as this will be my 4th Steel City machine.. I just sold my Uni-saw and it is being replaced in 3 weeks with a Steel City 5 HP. Which model did you get, BTW?

Sarge..
    Thanks Sarge -- I just got the 1.75 HP, should be all the saw I need if I keep my blades sharp and clean... (which is a big "if" for me...)

I probably won't put a base on the TS, as it has a fairly fixed position in the garage, with other stuff wheeling in or out as needed. My tendency is to just put caster wheels on a piece of plywood when I do make a base... I'm not very clever with metal...

Blog Entries
    My 22124 came in the same cage. The saw was bolted to the platform in two corners on mine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn, I found the bolts just now when I finally got all the way down onto the garage floor and reached under... really impressed with the Steel City experience so far compared to the Delta... small things, like the table top is shinier, and the oil it was coated with seemed "cleaner" somehow -- the Delta seemed to be covered in used motor oil (i exaggerate as usual)