Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Teapot

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whelehon View Post
    OK, I need to know HOW you do this!

Pics or better yet, VIDEO!

I've been wondering why, with so many of us being expert woodworkers (ok, not me, just you guys) why we don't have more videos and instructional stuff on here.
    Not to bring up an old subject but since Jason asked for it... here it is... a video:

http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/?p=100

Sorry for those still on dialup or low bandwidth lines. This will probably cause your modem to scream in agony.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

very cool loking texture, awsome peice
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

That is classy! I like it!

Walt

Raymond, thanks for posting the video! Looks like quite the setup at the turning club! I enjoyed you taking everyone through the various steps to create the Teapot. I give you credit for figuring all that out! Also give you credit on your presentation skills - good sequence, clear instructions and good audience contact! I can see you making DVDs sometime in the near future!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Raymond,
    Thanks for the how-to! Very informative. One question I have is, Can the teapot be used as a teapot? Not in a kettle form, but in a brewing form. LOML suggested to pour liquid ceramic inside the form and let it harden. It would act as an insulator and a sealant. Any thoughts?

Raymond,
    You've outdone yourself with this one!

Chris,
    The wood moves too much in relation to liquid ceramic. You might be able to seal the inside by swirling some epoxy around.

Blog Entries
    Raymond, I've watched your work expand the horizons for over a year now and all I can say is you skills have grown expediently. Thanks so much for sharing your method.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

First off, thanks for the comments on the video guys. I appreciate the feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Fletcher View Post
    Raymond,
    Thanks for the how-to! Very informative. One question I have is, Can the teapot be used as a teapot? Not in a kettle form, but in a brewing form. LOML suggested to pour liquid ceramic inside the form and let it harden. It would act as an insulator and a sealant. Any thoughts?
    Christopher,

I consider these teapots to be art and haven't thought about making them to hold water. I don't know that I would even consider making them functional since it seems I would just be asking for trouble. Inevitably someone would splash the outside of the teapot causing problems with the finish and possibly causing the wood to crack. Also the idea of putting a heated liquid in there and rapidly changing the temperature of the wood seems like it would cause problems too. Thanks for the interest though.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill