Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Teapot

Another Teapot

This one is cherry with spanish cedar top and leaves. The cedar is finished and buffed with black wax and takes on a copper color when in the right light. The cherry was textured and buffed as well. I call it "Orange You Glad I Said Tea"

Tell me what you think? Any criticism, ideas, or thoughts are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Raymond Overman; 07-30-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Wow Raymond that is beautiful. One of these days. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ray, that is your best teapot yet. The texturing and the finish really add something special. Haven't seen your post's in awhile! welcome back...Bill...

Raymond - I have to agree with William - this is your best teapot yet! Great form on the pot, love the copper effect for the leaves and the texturing of the pot gives it a little orange peel effect. Great combination of fantasy, textures and color! Hope to see some more of your turnings real soon! Always a treat!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My man Raymond!

Of the teapots you've turned, this is the one that really stands out in my eyes and mind!

That is a work of art!

Beautifully done Raymond!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nicely done!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I so love the varieties of tea pots that folks turn and carve...and this one is just great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Raymond I have to go with the others and say it's great. It's hard for me to tell what was turned and what was carved.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    It's hard for me to tell what was turned and what was carved.
    Thanks Bob. To give you an idea on the process, I turned the piece on three axis. It started as a rectangular shape a little less than three time it's height. I turned the sides of the teapot first across the grain so I had a little over an inch of the rectangle material left in the middle between two semi-spherical shapes on both sides.

I then reoriented to long grain (spindle) orientation and refined the bottom of the teapot and the curve of the spout and handle bottom. Then I reoriented again to cross grain along the third axis and turned a tenon on the bottom while further refining the shape of the bottom. You've got to be careful at this point since you can take material out of the handle.

I then put the tenon in my chuck and hollowed it. Since there are still inconsistencies in the outside from the different orientations the piece isn't exceptionally thin. I would say the walls are probably 3/8 in most places.

After the turning was done, I used a combination of an air body saw, a foredom carver, and a modified needle scaler to cut, carve and texture the piece. Finished with wax and buffed. Ta da!
    Raymond Overman

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Amazing work Raymond!

It looks SO realy teapotty. I cannot imagine anybody who would critisize wall thickness.
    Bob

OK, I need to know HOW you do this!

Pics or better yet, VIDEO!

I've been wondering why, with so many of us being expert woodworkers (ok, not me, just you guys) why we don't have more videos and instructional stuff on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whelehon View Post
    OK, I need to know HOW you do this!

Pics or better yet, VIDEO!

I've been wondering why, with so many of us being expert woodworkers (ok, not me, just you guys) why we don't have more videos and instructional stuff on here.
    I'm doing a demonstration on the technique this coming Tuesday at 6:30 PM for the Waxhaw Woodturners Club in Waxhaw, NC. Feel free to join us!

I'm going to try to get a video on the process. The problem is that I'm the videographer for our club so getting footage that I like and can edit is a little hairy sometimes.

I have some instructional videos on my personal website.
    Raymond Overman

Raymond ---The first thought that comes to mind is "Awesome"
    That is just way to cool.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Raymond - that's simply too awesome, and way too scary to try to imagine doing without seeing it done! Great job.

Beautiful piece, I love the texture of it.
    Mike Vickery