Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems impossible to get Stihl parts quickly

Seems impossible to get Stihl parts quickly

I've had a Stihl 390 chainsaw for about 5 years now. I've maintained it well but I had my first experience with needing a crucial part ASAP and found that there seems to be no system in place to do this.

I need a new muffler assembly and none of the Stihl dealers within a reasonable distance stock the part, and they all gave the same story - "it will take us about a week to get it in from Stihl." There is also no online ordering of Stihl parts and from what I found no aftermaket parts. One dealer an hour away graciously offered to take a muffler off a new saw for me, but would not mail it (45 minutes away).

In the meantime I'm out of commission as far as cutting up bowl blanks and firewood for a week. This is really frustrating. Anyone know why this is so hard or know if I'm going about this the wrong way?

Jon

Log onto http://www.arboristsite.com/ forums. Those boys can get you just about any part you need.

The MS390 is not in Stihl's Pro series so getting replacement parts is not a priority for them.

Hi Jon, although a week seems like a long time when you need the part, it isn't unreasonable.

Your dealer would have to place an order, the supplier has to receive and process the order, package the part and ship it out.

Then the dealer receives the part, contacts you, and completes the transaction.

It all takes time, in my opinion one week isn't unreasonable.

Regards, Rod.

I'd agree that 1 week is reasonable for a non-expedited order. But in today's world you should be able to order something before a cutoff time and get it the next day assuming it is in stock somewhere in the country. You should expect to pay a hefty shipping/handling charge to do this but it should be possible if you feel it is necessary.

1) Buy new saw.
    2) Move part from new saw to old saw.
    3) Order new part.
    4) Receive part in 1-2 weeks.
    5) Install part on new saw.
    6) Return new saw to store.

The delivery time depends on the dealer. IIRC Stihl has a minimum order ammount.
    The closest dealer to me can take up to 2 weeks since they are low volume. Big dealer further away can get parts in 3 days.

Ed

Jon, you are looking at this problem all wrong. This is the perfect opportunity for that second back-up saw! Who can resist an excuse for buying more tools? It doesn't have to be big and expensive. I've got an old 011 that goes wherever the 041 goes, just in case the 041 has a problem, and it has saved the day at least a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ferrante View Post
    1) Buy new saw.
    2) Move part from new saw to old saw.
    3) Order new part.
    4) Receive part in 1-2 weeks.
    5) Install part on new saw.
    6) Return new saw to store.
    Oh! thats nice. The very reason places are starting to charge a restocking fee to return something.

Do you want to pay for next day air for the part? I order a lot of stuff at work and you pay for what you get. I can get a part sent ground for free, but if I wanted it yesterday I need to accept the fact it could cost me a small fortune for next day shipping. That is the name of the game, surely with the cost of shipping going up because of fuel prices.

I've got an old (approx 30 years) 041. Still starts easy and runs strong after all those years at approx 4 cords of firewood a year.

I was told that parts are no longer available. Perhaps you know of a source.

Just wondering.

Or you could just do like some of the HD BORG's customers do.
    1. Buy new tool
    2. Spend 30 days building new project
    3. Put crappy well used tool back in box
    4. Have wife to return to store
    5. Upon arrival at BORG have wife to tell big LIE " It just didn't do what he wanted it to do".
    6. Look at the face in the mirror the next morning and congratulate yourself on what a smart honest MAN you are because you outsmarted a BORG while having your wife tell a big fat LIE.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Sounds like most other things from Germany. I have had a part for my Audi on order for 2 weeks. Same goes for my VW. I have a Bosch dryer that had a bearing go bad about 3 months after we bought. It took 6 weeks to get the part.
    "Less is more." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Yes, high volume dealers can get the parts in a couple of days because they order enough for free shipping. Small dealers don't want to pay the freight and most customers don't really want to pay the premium. It's sort of a catch 22.

If I need something fast my dealer will order some blowers and such to hit $2000 for free freight. He moves enough stuff to do that.

Surprised that no-one has a 390 to pull a muffler off of - new or out in thier seized up chainsaw pile.

I'd use this as an excuse to buy a 361 .... fantastic saw...but a muffler is certainly cheaper.

What happened to your muffler? Did it get crushed? It doesn't take much of a muffler to keep going as long as you don't run too lean.

Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Hedahl View Post
    I've got an old (approx 30 years) 041. Still starts easy and runs strong after all those years at approx 4 cords of firewood a year.

I was told that parts are no longer available. Perhaps you know of a source.

Just wondering.
    Cheapstihlparts on ebay has a lot of stuff. He's a friend of a friend but I don't know him personally.

Go to arboristsite.com and ask in the chainsaw forum if 041 parts are still available from dealers. There are several dealers there who will know and will probably take care of you.

041's are excellent firewood saws, no doubt.

Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Gregory View Post
    What happened to your muffler? Did it get crushed? It doesn't take much of a muffler to keep going as long as you don't run too lean.

Chaser
    The muffler almost seemed as though it melted at the point where the interior components attach to the outer box-like housing (at one of the bolt locations), leaving loose pieces of metal rattling around inside the muffler.