Thread: Bies fence or stock from Griz

Bies fence or stock from Griz

Bought the Grizzly 1023 with their standard fence, but....I lucked into a Bies 30 inch last year which is still in the box. I am considering putting it on the 1023, however is there anything gained over the stock Griz fence? Or should I just dump the Bies?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    Bought the Grizzly 1023 with their standard fence, but....I lucked into a Bies 30 inch last year which is still in the box. I am considering putting it on the 1023, however is there anything gained over the stock Griz fence? Or should I just dump the Bies?
    I've had the stock Grizz for several years and have had no complaints. The difference, I think is that the Bies has a laminate piece on the side and the grizz has a HDPE, which I think is better. Put the Bies on E bay or Craigs list and BUY ANOTHER TOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    Chris,
    I put a Shop Fox Classic fence on my Unisaw restore. Price was a factor in the decision. I actually like the HDPE sides and I like the fact that they are easily removable unlike the Bies. I haven't used a Bies but I have played around with them in stores and I don't feel I am missing out on anything. I don't like the magnified cursor though. I made my own and couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cunningham View Post
    I've had the stock Grizz for several years and have had no complaints. The difference, I think is that the Bies has a laminate piece on the side and the grizz has a HDPE, which I think is better. Put the Bies on E bay or Craigs list and BUY ANOTHER TOOL!!!
    Having used both, and now have owned both, I do have slight personal preference for the Biese and hated to see it go. As Jim points out, the laminate faces vs UHMW plastic are the biggest difference. The handle on the Biese is slightly nicer too but that's pretty insignificant. I think the Biese will have higher resale value. Out of curiosity how much do you want for it if you sell it?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for the input. I had seen a Bies advertised for a few hundred, perhaps a target if sold, and thought, well, why keep it. I have been very happy with the Griz, but never having used a Bies, wondered if there was something to be had from putting it on the table. Did think I might be able to put it on a separate router table or even on the TS which has the extra extension and hole for a router, but cannot remove the side like I can do with the Griz, and don't feel like cutting a hole in the middle. Will ponder this a while longer; retired and getting slower in my decision making. Don't guess anyone else is like that....

I would prefer the Biese, Chris. But... if you are happy with the Grizzly then the Biesemeyer will definitely be easier to sell and carry more clout on the asking price.

Regards...

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    I love my Bies but have never touched a Griz fence. Folks like them both. The Bies will command more cash if sold so if you like the Griz, I would keep it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a Bies on my old Craftsman, when I got my 1023 I sold the stock fence with the old saw. Put the Bies on the grizzly. The stock grizzly fence isn't bad. I felt the Bies was a little better fit and finish.

I've never used the Griz fence, or even seen one for that matter. I do have the Biese on my Ridgid 3612 and love it. Rock solid and easy to adjust. The non removable faces were a bother to me, though. But for 18.00, Rockler has some nifty little clamps that allow you to put a sacrificial fence on very quickly. I bought a set when Ken F. was here for the Creeker visit. Very well made, and I've seen them on sale for 13.00 in their emails. I will probably use 3/4" MDF, but I bet you could use some UHMW, or HDPE or anything else that would stay flat and true, to give a slick surface. I also replaced the factory measuring tape with one from Rockler, and reset the factory tape 3/4" over so it will still work with the add on fence. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.