I get most of my vintage tools from eBay. Time and vehicle constraints really make it the best avenue for me. In general, I’ve had a very positive experience buying off eBay, but it has led to a few questions.

First, why are antique chisels so unbelievably expensive? Is this just an eBay phenomenon or is it true in all vintage tool venues?

Consider that without trying too hard you can get an antique #4 or #5 bench plane in fair shape for about $25 shipped. To get an equivalent new tool today, you’d have to look at something like a Veritas for around $150. Now 150 new tool dollars buys a very nice boxed set of new Two Cherries, Hirsh, or Ashley Isles chisels, not to mention a decent set of Japanese tools.

But what will $25 buy you in vintage chisels? At best two unmatched chisels in fair condition. Amassing a set by bidding on separate auctions gets very expensive, especially when you factor in shipping costs. And matched chisel sets? Well, I’ve come close to winning a couple of times on a set of vintage Craftsman chisels, and once on a set of Fultons, but in general the bid prices for complete chisel sets quickly ascend through the stratosphere.

I’m not looking for collectibles here, just users with something other than a thermoplastic handle. I’m happy to let someone else pay $80 for a single Stanley 750.

And it almost goes without saying that one can get unbelievable deals on older braces, auger bits and handsaws (still have that goofy smile James?). But not old backsaws or, inscrutably, brass plumb bobs. Why? WHY?

My second question is has anyone noticed that there are great bargains to be had if you live in England? I mean if you want mortise chisels, it’s a buyer’s market in Great Britain. Now, I know that our former colonial landlords have been around about 6 times as long as the US, which certainly creates more antiques of every kind.

But why only the UK? Why not a LOT more eBay auctions for vintage tools from France, Austria, Germany, Spain and Italy? Those EC countries have been around for a while too, and they certainly have storied reputations for woodworking. Come on, where are all the vintage Portuguese hand tools?

My last question is perhaps more rhetorical and a warning to all my fellow woodworkers, but who does this guy think he’s fooling?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...397380119&rd=1

The matched wood handled set in the upper right looks suspiciously like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...396271388&rd=1

Note the “buy it now” price.

And I can’t be sure, but those black handled chisels look a lot like some Chinese sets I see go for the asking at $2.99.

This guy only has one auction like this now, but I’ve seen variations on his theme in several other listings. He displays one or two halfway interesting chisels up front in the picture and then pads the package with two additional matched sets of unidentified chisels in the back. Bundled together with items identified as vintage, he’s creating the expectation that at least the other wood handled chisels may also be antiques. The high starting bid covers his costs for his flea market finds and further sets up the expectation for something valuable.

I know the fine print indicates that his stuff is sold as-is and may be old or new. I also notice that he’s not cross-listing his auctions in the Collectibles category of eBay. And finally I know caveat emptor. But the way I see it, this guy is trafficking in buyer ignorance by emulating an established eBay phenomenon: the vintage chisel lot.

Does anyone else find this whole vintage + incredibly cheap Chinese tool package concept more than a little sleazy?

I just hate to see anyone getting taken.