Thread: Opinions on Powermatic 20" planer 5hp 1ph

Opinions on Powermatic 20" planer 5hp 1ph

I am looking really hard at the above mentioned planer and wonder if anyone here has any experience with one.

I was shopping 20" planers a a couple of years ago and looked hard at it. I did not run one but after looking hard at Grizzly.. SC.. and one of the last 3 20" York-crafts Wilke Machinery was phasing out for around $1000.. I pick up the York-craft which BTW is idnical to Grizzly.

I haven't regretted that with the large gap in price between the two as both planers are very close. I can't remember the motor on the PM but they were having it made off-shore as they do now. So... I really didn't see a major difference except the price.

Just an opinion based on my comparison shopping looking both in the eye before deciding.

Good luck...

Sarge..

I was going to buy a PM also and got a ShopFox. The manuals are interchangeable and the SF has been a fine machine. It is even better with the Byrd head I put on it. I don't think there is a difference except color and price.

I did a huge amount of research on this machine prior to buying one. (about a month ago).

I have the General International 30-300HC.

The General and Powermatic are made in Taiwan. That style of planer is made in many many plants in Asia. Its sold by PM, General, Grizz, Shop Fox, King, Steel City.. probably more ..

The Grizzly and Shop Fox seem to be made in China.

The PM 209HH has two sets of gears allowing it 4 different feed speeds. When I was shopping for this machine, I wanted the faster feed speed of the Powermatic. General ordered those gears for me from the plant.

Check out these Manufacturers

http://www.trupro.com.tw/wp01-08.htm
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/10...od_Planer.html
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/50...laner_20_.html

All I am trying to say is that just because they look similar, does not mean they are made by the same company.

The planer is very smooth. Very very powerful and heavy.
    The built in casters are easy and smooth, it doesnt feel like 800+ pounds on the casters.

I am still figuring out the machine but can tell you the finish is excellent. The General uses a Taiwan Helical head called a Magnum cut, which is advertised on the Frejoth site in Taiwan. Powermatic uses the Byrd cutter.

I would buy mine again. Any questions, feel free.

I've got the 20HH and it is everything I expected and more.

Jim

OK, after reading up I pulled the trigger on the PM....should be here sometime next week

I have the PM 209 with an aftermarket Byrd head. I would highly recommend saving up for this upgrade if you can. Tear out is virtually eliminated on figured woods and the sound emitted by the planer gets reduced to the noise level of a table saw. Plus, you'll never need to deal with setting planer knives (or sharpening) again. Well worth the extra cost. Regardless, you'll enjoy using your 209...it'll eat anything you feed it.

I milled up a bunch of 2x4 and 4x4 rough cedar with the General
    30-300 HC equivalent today. The machine is new, so I decided to feed the 2x4's as much as possible at a time.

This planer can handle 4 x 2x4's, 3 7/8" wide, at a time with no slow down and no real strain whatsoever. The only reason I didnt plane 5 was they wouldnt fit easily.

I just stood there and smiled. Amazing power in that planer. The Helical cutter left a near perfect finish on the wood.

To be fair, Rough cedar is pretty soft, but there was no audible strain on the motor at all. I have planed 10" wide D-Fir with the same results.

If you have one of these on the way, you will be impressed with the power.