Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What besides Rotozip?

What besides Rotozip?

I'm putting up OSB in my shop. I'd like to cover the windows and then trim away the excess flush with the window jam. I know Rotozip makes a bit for this purpose. I don't own a Rotozip. This is an opportunity for me to buy a new tool, so what are my other tool options (e.g., trim router?). Also, will Rotozip bits fits in a standard trim router?

I'd get a Bosch Colt palm router and a plunge pilot flush cut bit (see http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/45506.html for an example). The Bosch Colt is an extremely versatile little router (1/4" collet) that can handle a wide variety of tasks for about $100.

Yes a trim router will work the Bosch colt is the most popular. I however have both and I grab my rotozip more it is just ligher and easer to handle also I have the big one that has led lights on the frount that is a nice feature. In fact I use my rotozip to do door hinges and stuff also with a 1/4 router bit in it. They are basically the same tool the rotozip being more streamed line and made to handel sheet rock dust better.
    -=Jason=-

If you read this thread, titled "bad tool purchases", you will read more than just a few who have included the Rotozip in their response. And from the sound of it, the tool isn't very good to say the least.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...hlight=rotozip

I have the DeWalt equivalent. I think they go for about $65, give or take a little. I think the RotoZip is more of a homeowner's grade tool of the same type. But I've never actually used a RotoZip.

I also have a Bosch Colt. I wouldn't really want to use it for something like cutting sheet rock, but I'm sure it would rise to the occasion. But maybe not for long!

Blog Entries
    I love my Colt. The VS is quite handy if you use it for a lot of different things.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sparks View Post
    If you read this thread, titled "bad tool purchases", you will read more than just a few who have included the Rotozip in their response. And from the sound of it, the tool isn't very good to say the least.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...hlight=rotozip
    I absolutely hated my Rotozip that my wife gave me, untill I cut drywall with it.
    That was almost an religious experience, man does it do a good job.

Never tried any routerbits on it, it does not seem to be designed for that.

I have the Sears version and while I will admit that I do not use it all that much it is a great tool for some projects. Cutting out around boxes/windows/can lights for drywall being the main item.

For that alone it is worth the price.

I bought the Sears unit on sale -- and I would buy it again.

If they are so unwanted maybe you can get one on e-bay

One last thing the cheap rotozip I aggree is not great the better one I have put through it's paces had it for about 4 years now. Maybe I am just lucky. The bosh also has negitive feedback. I also have a dewalt cordless rotozip other than being a little big and one speed the cordless feature is great. It is a handy tool.

I hate to say this but several freinds have the ridge hand router and love it. For the price can't be beat.

I just got the festool trim router looks nice but haven't used it yet. It is way to expensive thought for what it is, but as I said I have't used it so that is yet to be determined.
    -=Jason=-

As far as a discussion on the rotozip goes it was designed for drywall. Invented by a drywaller.

There are bits for different things, and I have found the rotozip excells at drywalling, and is a pain in the butt for anything else. There are better tools out there. I wish I knew how many bits I have snapped through OSB etc. Doesnt matter how slow I go. It does work find with thin paneling though...

My tool of choice for what you are doing is the sawsall.
    One good turn deserves another

i just used a regular router with a flushtrim bit. (Bearing on the bottom) I drilled a starter hole first. With a fullsized router you can go around the opening about as fast as you can move.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    i just used a regular router with a flushtrim bit. (Bearing on the bottom) I drilled a starter hole first. With a fullsized router you can go around the opening about as fast as you can move.

Second that

Rick one thing I found is rotozip makes is bits that are about twice the thickness of the normal bit about 1/4" thick they hold up much better. Usally bits break because they get dull it is a tool that requires pacients in anything else than drywall.

I'm sounding like a rotozip fan here I am not trust me. But beyone drywall and panneling and cutting that piece of molding that is already on the wall it is a limited too I will aggree. Get the small router and lut in one of the oversize rotozip blades it is probably more usefull. The thing about the rotozip blade instead of the router bit is it will clear away what it cuts because of the sprial design they make one with a smooth tip that acts like a berring, works great, and is much cheaper than a router bit.
    -=Jason=-

A slightly different beast -- a Dremel tool. My father-in-law has one and I swear that anything he has needed to fix/remedy while rebuilding a house, he has managed to do it with the Dremel.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Before Colts came out, I built a hinge mortise jig for my Rotozip. Just glued an acrylic base to the existing base.