Thread: Bandsaw Tutorial???

Bandsaw Tutorial???

I'm looking for a bandsaw blade setup tutorial. Something regarding the blade tension and blade drift setup. Is one available???
    Thanks!

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

The wood whisperer

This video is recommended by many

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-...set-uptune-up/

While the Wood vidio is very good, if you are new to a bandsaw you should buy either Mark Duginskes new band saw book or the one authored by Larry Bird. Both are excellent but the Duginske book is newer. Amazon will have either book.

Either will help you getting your saw aligned and adjusted as well as giving you lots of good info about what blades to use when--there's no one "all purpose" bandsaw blade. They will also tell you how to get the most out of your saw.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    While the Wood vidio is very good, if you are new to a bandsaw you should buy either Mark Duginskes new band saw book or the one authored by Larry Bird. Both are excellent but the Duginske book is newer. Amazon will have either book.

Either will help you getting your saw aligned and adjusted as well as giving you lots of good info about what blades to use when--there's no one "all purpose" bandsaw blade. They will also tell you how to get the most out of your saw.

You mean Lonnie Bird ? I don't think Larry knows much aboot bandsaws
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Is it basketball time already??? Really funny thing is I read it, and didn't catch it until Chuck's note. I just read it as Lonnie, not Larry. Jim. (It's the heat, honest it is.)
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    It's the heat, honest it is.
    I thought it was the Pacers? Or was it the Celtics...

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Thanks for the all the great information on this. This has been very helpful but one more question.

Is the setup for a timberwolf blade the same as any other blade?? I've heard different things...

Thanks!

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

There is a diff of opinion

The basic setup of the guides and tracking for the Timberwolf blades is the same. Timberwolf claims they use a special steel and that the tension should be set using the flutter test, not the tension gauge on the saw. On their website, they describe the test. The opposing view is that for the most part, steel is steel, so the tension should not be any different ( though I don't want this to break out into a tension war ). In addition, I have read that the flutter method is dependent on blade harmonics and doesn't tell you much about tension.

Matt the basic idea is that the Timberwolf blades need less tension than other blades. None of the setup is rocket science though. Tighten it up so there's not much give. In general, when in doubt, tighten it a little more. See if it cuts well and straight, if it does then don't worry about it.

I remember the first time I set up my bandsaw, with calipers on the guides and such. Now I just eyeball it and it's fine. If you get too carried away you will never change blades, which is one of the great benefits to having a bandsaw (the flexibility).

>> You mean Lonnie Bird ? I don't think Larry knows much aboot bandsaws

Oops.....

Gotta stop drinking those martinis before lunch.
    Howie.........