Thread: Replacement Bandsaw Wheels

Replacement Bandsaw Wheels

I just inherited a Craftsman 12" BS and promptly took it apart to check it out. There were only a couple of issues but one could be pretty bad. The upper wheel has some latteral movement +- an 1/8". Sears no longer sells that wheel only the lower. Any place where I can get aftermarket wheels? It was kind of a preinheritace from my Father-in-law so I can't sell it. I can't see using it like it is though.

Maybe you can describe what you mean by lateral movement? If this is like my old Craftsman, there is a good deal of play in the upper wheel unless there is a blade under tension on it.

What I mean is the wheel itself is round the bearings are fine but the wheel does not rotate true, in the same plane. I think over years of leaving the blade tensioned it has caused whatever point was at the top to be pulled out bend the wheel slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Holder View Post
    What I mean is the wheel itself is round the bearings are fine but the wheel does not rotate true, in the same plane. I think over years of leaving the blade tensioned it has caused whatever point was at the top to be pulled out bend the wheel slightly.
    It may not make any difference if the blade tracks in the center of the wheel reliably.

However if it's the same Craftsman 12 inch that I have, the wheels are aluminum spoked. It wouldn't take much, I'd surmise, to straighten it. I have a friend that owns and operates a wheel straightening company. The actual straightening is done by the armstrong method using a long bar. Of course he has dial indicators constantly on the wheel, but it is a low tech operation.

I think you could do something similar -- perhaps wedges against the side of the bandsaw frame. Put some tension in the correct place then tap the spokes of the wheel with a small hammer to relieve tensions. Bet within an hour you could have it right on the money!

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Hedahl View Post
    It may not make any difference if the blade tracks in the center of the wheel reliably.

However if it's the same Craftsman 12 inch that I have, the wheels are aluminum spoked. It wouldn't take much, I'd surmise, to straighten it. I have a friend that owns and operates a wheel straightening company. The actual straightening is done by the armstrong method using a long bar. Of course he has dial indicators constantly on the wheel, but it is a low tech operation.

I think you could do something similar -- perhaps wedges against the side of the bandsaw frame. Put some tension in the correct place then tap the spokes of the wheel with a small hammer to relieve tensions. Bet within an hour you could have it right on the money!

Good luck.

Indeed, I have a friend that builds blackpowder rifles for a living, and they are sighted in by bending the barrel, usually against a tree!! low tech allright.

Quote Originally Posted by John Holder View Post
    Any place where I can get aftermarket wheels?
    John,

Here is a place that makes and sells bandsaw wheels. They cater to the sawmill market and may not have what you need, but I'll bet they can refer you to the right outfit.
    Premier Bandwheel & Equipment, Ltd.
    (604) 591-2080

Good luck,
    Loren
    Baker 3667 portable sawmill. Cook's edger. Cutting my own lumber to build a kiln and a shop. Some woodworking & carpentry experience. Delta Unisaw & radial arm saw.