Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this?

What do you think of this?

Hi,

I'm fairly new into bowl turning. This one is perhaps 5th or 6th bowl I have turned. It is out of Walnut and Cherry, about 8" wide and 9" tall, the finish is walnut oil.

l3.JPGl4.JPGl2.JPG

Mresa - I think you've got a winner there! Beautiful wood combination, great design, nice detail work on the spindle and a soft finish! Interesting foot design - simple and fits the style of the piece! If this is only #5 or #6 - then I am seriously looking forward to #7! Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Fairly new my elbow... or you're a turrning prodigy! That is georgous! Nice form and well turned. Also a fun style we don't see too often.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I'd expect to see that in a cathedral or museum. "Here is the ceremonial goblet used by Charlemagne at his wedding." Or something equally regal.

The form looks both ancient and contemporary. Well done.

At first glance, the foot struck me as a little small for the top, but now I'm not sure. I think it's fine.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Superb form! All the elements work so well together. You have a great eye for shape and a perfect choice for the woods used. The turning seems flawless! Not a tool mark to be seen. I'm anxious for #7..Bill..

that looks awsome, the only thing i can see is that from the grain on the inside, it looks like the bottom of the inside of the bowl part is sloped up instead of a consistent curve. but even that took a while to find. great peice
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Beautiful, it really catches the eye.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Really nice I like it.

Alan

What a wonderful looking piece. I really like the wood combo. Nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work. I really like the form, and the use of contrasting wood is great. At first glance, I thought the cherry was a brass inlay ring. The grain is visible, but walnut is an open grained wood, after all. Nice work. It makes me think of a medieval banquet!

thanks

Thanks for the comments.
    My wife too said it has an ancient look, some from centuries ago.
    As for the center of the inside being upper or not: it has a consistent slope, very mildly towards the center; maybe the light is tricking the eye.
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 08-04-2008 at 8:05 PM.

Mreza,
    Ditto what they said, and one addition. Can not tell for sure from the pictures, but assume you have the grain fairly closely aligned among the laminated pieces and have tried to avoid cross grain joints.

Years ago (like, 20) I did a number of laminated pieces with crossed grains, erroneously thinking that it would make the pieces stronger. At the time was doing deep, glassy urethane finishes. Checking some of those pieces today, I can feel the joints in many places that were originally glass smooth, due mainly to the uneven expansion/contraction in the cross grain layers.
    Richard in Wimberley

Yowza! ...what a beautiful piece of work!

Mreza, would you mind sharing the basic steps to make such a nice piece? How you laminated, type of glue, and so on? I'm intrigued... but not advanced enough to understand.

Thanks,
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Mreza,
    Ditto what they said, and one addition. Can not tell for sure from the pictures, but assume you have the grain fairly closely aligned among the laminated pieces and have tried to avoid cross grain joints.
    Yes, I was careful about it. Not only the pieces are not cross-grain, but also the direction of the grain match to some good degree (especially on the two walnut pieces, they nicely continue over the cherry one).

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Achey View Post
    Yowza! ...what a beautiful piece of work!

Mreza, would you mind sharing the basic steps to make such a nice piece? How you laminated, type of glue, and so on? I'm intrigued... but not advanced enough to understand.

Thanks,
    Terry
    The bowl was made from a 8/4 board of walnut (8.75" wide) and some 4/4 cherry and walnut planed down to about 3/8" for the top and about 7/8" for the base of the bowl. They were first planed, joined, and glued. Foot is built similarly. The whole thing is made in three pieces, the foot, the spindle, and the bowl and then glued together; simple round tenons at the ends of the spindle that go into holes made in the foot and bowl.
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 08-05-2008 at 12:29 AM.

You have a good eye, I would definitely say that you are a natural.
    Wood choice's are good for this piece.
    Finish looks really good.
    I'll just bet you had a good feeling about this piece.
    Nice job.
    Do you have pictures of #1 through #4?
    Is #7 in the oven?
    One Nation under God