Thread: Stupid 3520B question

Stupid 3520B question

I was dreaming about a 3520B again tonight (actually, I was dreaming about a Vicmarc, Oneway, or a Robust, but trying to be somewhat realistic), when it hit me that the between centers capacity was 34 1/2" between centers. For some reason, I had it in my head that outside of a mini-lathe, 36" between centers was sort of a standard, with many lathes with a smaller swing having 40+" between centers (Jet 1642, Oneway 1640, General lathes with 16" swing).

So my stupid question is, have any of you 3520B owners ever missed that 1.5-5.5" between centers?

And, yes, I know that you can buy a bed extension for the 3520B, but that's not really the point here.

Not a stupid question at all Wilbur. Can not answer your specific (3520) question, but can say that when I had a 36" bed length lathe my elbow was forever hitting the tailstock, sometimes painfully when the center was still in it. With my present 1642 that never happens. No doubt the bed extension would be handy (and expensive), and require more floor space.
    Richard in Wimberley

Wilbur I have not missed the extra few inches. I do mostly bowls and HF's. With the sliding head stock, I remove the tail stock and turn my bowls off the end. Do you plan on doing large spindles? If so get the ext.
    You will love the power and the variable speed.

Angry

I am disappointed in Powermatic for not making this machine a little longer,, in fact I almost did not buy it for that reason. I purchased the extension and like it a lot, but shame, shame, shame, on them for not doing this the right way. Wood someone from Powermatic please step up to the plate and tell us the real reason for this shortcoming, and don't BS us.

I'm not sure this is a "right way" kind of situation, William. What is right for you might be completely off the mark for me. In fact, I bought a Stubby 750 specifically because I didn't want the long bed that the PM and other machines have natively. I do almost no spindle work (and the Stubby has the capacity for what I do need in that respect) and prefer the body positioning flexibility for bowls and vessels that a short-bed machine provides. If I really need to turn something outside of the capacity of my own machine at some point, I know plenty of folks with big, long OneWay machines...

Wilbur, the only reason that length difference would make is if you need the capacity for the type of projects you intend to work on. The bottom line is your own needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    I am disappointed in Powermatic for not making this machine a little longer,, in fact I almost did not buy it for that reason. I purchased the extension and like it a lot, but shame, shame, shame, on them for not doing this the right way. Wood someone from Powermatic please step up to the plate and tell us the real reason for this shortcoming, and don't BS us.
    Interesting - I bought the Powermatic lathe just because it was a bit shorter than the Jet one. My space is limited in the shop so the shorter version works better for me.
    Trying to make us all happy must be hard for a manufactur.

That is the reason I am looking at the stubby and powermatic as well it is shorter. I think the 18" extension is awesome since you can make the bed longer if you need to and also drop it for large bolws I much rathor have this tan a fixed bed.
    -=Jason=-