Thread: Cutting Board ala The Wood Whisperer

Cutting Board ala The Wood Whisperer

Was watching the pod cast last Wednesday morning of Marc making his end grain cutting board. I thought that may come in handy some day. Well later that day my daughter called and wanted to know if I could make her a cutting board, "but of course" My versioin is hard maple and mahogany. I don't have an edge guide for my router to make the hand holds as he did so I just turned some small feet out of maple. The conctractors saw you see there had a tough time with the 8/4 maple and I've been waiting long enough so a new PM2000 will be ordered today from Sean at the Tool Nut.

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

"Soldier On"

That looks nice. I've been seeing lots of suggestions to make end grain tops and cutting boards but didn't have a feel for what they would look like. I think I see why the suggestions for making a workbench top from end grain usually have a "grin" associated with them.

Tony the board is very nice ! I'm considering making one for a family member.

I've seen the WW video did you finish yopurs the saw way he did ?

Andy

Very nice Toni. If you want to try it again, glue up the wood and then glue a face plate to it. Turn it round on the your lathe. You can also sand it flat on the lathe. You can cut a shallow cove around the outside edge or embellish it several different ways on the lathe. The best part is that it is easier to do than a rectangular one due to the ease of sanding and it looks really nice to boot. Most people will ask how you got it perfectly round and got the groove on the outside so perfect also.

Nice stealth gloat on the PM2000 also!

Andy - I finished it with salad bowl finish and mineral spirits at a 50/50 mix.

Robert - I think I may have to give that a try, sounds like you've already done it too. And you caught the stealth gloat too. Can't say I'm surprised

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Very nice, Tony. And if she gets tired of cooking.. she can play some checkers. Well.. kinda.. uhhh... sorta.. Ahhhh.. never mind.

Again very nice...

Sarge..

Very nice, clean work...looks good!!
    Jerry

Nice board. That board cost me over $10,000! It is what got me started in woodworking about a year ago. Wow, it sure has been fun.