Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand cut dovetail video

Hand cut dovetail video

Make some popcorn and enjoy......

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/category/podcast/

Thanks for posting this...

- Dykes

John,

You are welcome and I hope you enjoed it as much as I did.

Thanks, Bob,
    That was rather interesting. I especially liked his sawing technique. I'll have to give that a try.

Regards,
    -Chuck

Very cool

I couldn't honestly say how many times I have watched a dovetail demonstration and every time I learn something new.

That sawing technique does look interesting but I am not convinced about pins first. I would be willing to wager he learned it that way. I have tried it both ways to, and just get on better with tails.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

rvp1875.com

The thing I took away from this was the guy's website. He tries to use authentic 19th century tools and techniques (right down to boiling onion peels and blueberries for his finishes).

www.rvp1875.com

A really cool site I enjoyed browsing. I'm trying to talk the wife into sending me there for a class. (I hope she doesn't send me there for good! I wonder if he needs an apprentice? I wonder if I can make it without her to keep me straight? Probably not....)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dayton View Post
    The thing I took away from this was the guy's website. He tries to use authentic 19th century tools and techniques (right down to boiling onion peels and blueberries for his finishes).

I agree, but then he admits in his dovetailing video that he uses yellow glue instead of hide glue. That was disappointing for someone who claims to build reproductions.

-Chuck

I don't see how that can matter. It's not like it makes the building significantly easier, there's no way to tell, and his clients, who seem like they buy items for real use, get a stronger product.

The purpose of using hide glue for an heirloom is that it can be repaired in the future. Yellow glue cannot be re glued as successfully. It would seem to me that hide glue is a lot more important than stain made from berries!

YEs you wonder when he chops trees down with an axe, he makes his own stains but uses a modern glue, not that it matters as what he does is kind of neat, just does seem a bit of a paradox.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Fair enough, but an argument could be made that the wood preparation style and stain type could affect the look of the piece.

Also, while his pieces could be nice enough to be considered heirlooms, that doesn't seem to be the point of his furniture building. He seems to be making stuff for regular use - he mentions that he is competitive with pottery barn at one point. I think a lot of his techniques are just what he knows and does best, rather than his style being a big selling point.

To me, his work is a testament to the fact that neander style furniture building can still be competitive with modern "hand made" furniture, if one has enough skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    Also, while his pieces could be nice enough to be considered heirlooms, that doesn't seem to be the point of his furniture building. He seems to be making stuff for regular use - he mentions that he is competitive with pottery barn at one point. I think a lot of his techniques are just what he knows and does best, rather than his style being a big selling point.
    Well, according to him he is building heirlooms:

"The rule of thumb is that glue will fail after 50 or 100 years," Pedersen said. "I like to make things that are going to be around 200 or 300 years from now."

First of all I have to disagree with his "rule of thumb". We know for a fact that hide glue will last 100 years and more. No one knows for sure how long Titebond will last. But that's another discussion.
    I'm not knocking the guy; in fact I give him all the credit due. He has found a great product, he's passionate about his work, he even chops down his own trees, and he shares his knowledge. I just found it surprising that he doesn't use the same time-tested glue that was used by the people he emulates.

Regards,
    -Chuck

14. I really enjoyed the video. I have nothing but respect for anyone who can make a living doing what he does.

I have to say I was surprised by his choice of glue. I do some furniture and guitar repairs and use mostly hide glue. It's plenty strong -- I even use it on chairs which typically take a lot of stress.

I cheat a bit and use Old Brown Glue - a low-fuss version of hide glue with all of its positive attributes.

http://www.wpatrickedwards.com/gluepage.htm

I wouldn't use anything else on chairs. They *always* start coming apart eventually and are wicked to repair if they have been glued with yellow glue, Titebond, epoxy, etc.

Anyhoo, it's interesting to see that I'm not the only one who questioned his use of modern glue.

GR
    Last edited by Ganthan Rhodes; 08-11-2008 at 4:43 PM.

15. Excellent tutorial, thanks for the link.