Thread: My cnc rocking chair

My cnc rocking chair

This is a design by landcustomdesign.com I wish I could claim it but he let me borrow it so I could make myself one.
    This was cut from a single sheet of 3/4" plywood with notched joints and really lock together.
    I was not sure how I would like it and the place I had a pending order did not have great plywood. So the ply is ok filled the voids with black epoxy just to make them stand out.

This will have cushions that I am getting made for it.
    I am debating on making another out of maybe bamboo plywood. Or solid wood.

Steve knight
    cnc routing

nice

Nice chair, I cannot wait to get my home built router up and going again, Between setting up shop in the basement, and saving of the V-Carve package I have not had mine up in a few months.

I think It will look great out of hardwood, although you may have to make multiple cuts.

Tim

if I did it out of solid wood I would make the oval out of lap jointed wood to get a ring flatten it on the machine then cut it out. I would cut the pieces with laps on the machine too.
    but I need more money to do it so it won't happen for a bit.
    here is another one I may copy http://designzen.wordpress.com/2008/...greener-chair/
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

cool chair

very interesting design. I fear that if I personally sat in it, the first thing that would happen is i would flip over backwards. i have this... way... with chairs. but still, very cool chair!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Robinson View Post
    very interesting design. I fear that if I personally sat in it, the first thing that would happen is i would flip over backwards. i have this... way... with chairs. but still, very cool chair!
    the way it is that would be very hard to do. more likely to fall out the front it wants to tip that way more. so tying your shoes may be an issue.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I agree, that is a very interesting design

Steve, I think making from the bamboo would be a really killer application for this particular design. The edges of bamboo sheet goods also look a little different than regular plywood and I believe there is more than one orientation choice available for them. Do a search on "Plyboo".

Nice chair, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's one funky lookin' rocking chair. I like it!
    -Jeff

Steve - looks great.

I am trying to reverse engineer the other one that you linked to in Vcarve right now. I think that I will be trying to cut this out of cardboard a number of times to get the porportions right. I can only cut 4x4 on my machine and a link to the designers site said that he made it out of 5x5 BB. Using the trace function, to get the outside ellipse's top to be 28" +/- off the ground, the ellipse ends up being 51" wide . So I will have to knock a few of these out on paper or cardboard to see how they actually look. Also, from the pictures on the website, it looks like the top chord is smaller than the bottom (the inside ellipse is off centered) however this may be an illusion due to the curved armrest attached to the top outside. This one is going to give me fits!

-
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I had thought of doing this too till I got the pans I have. let us know if you manage I would like to cut one.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing