Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corn on the cob - on the grill?

Corn on the cob - on the grill?

Anyone got a drop-dead lip-smakkin' way to do corn on the grill?

My son and I are broadening our horizons.... Wrapped in foil ain't doing it anymore.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

First you need to leave the husk on, but remove the silk fibers. Then you need to soak in in ice cold water for a couple hours so it doesn't burn. Then you put some butter, fresh cracked pepper, and some salt on the corn and use one of the husks to tie it closed. Then stick it on the grill directly and put some applewood in there too to give it a good smoke flavor. Best corn on the cob you'll ever eat! At least I think it is.

Exactly how we do it too, Justin, but I use hickory. You have to watch for a sale though, unless you grow your own. We used to get it 5 ears for a dollar, now a buck apiece is considered a bargain.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Four bucks a dozen seems to be the going rate around here right now. Our own is about 2 weeks away.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You can't go wrong with Justin's method.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

How about an easy easy method

But frozen corn on the cob

Still frozen, slather it with butter and wrap it in foil

Put it on the grill first thing, grill everything else, then pull it off the grill

Comes out tender and yummy every time. Other ways I tried, the corn came out a little tough, I liked it but the kids weren't too wild about it.

Using this method you can have corn ready to go on the grill whenever you like.

For a south of the border flavor, try sprikling a little chili powder or taco seasoning on it with the butter then grill w/husk on.

or some crab boil, depending on where you're from and how your mom-an-nem do it .

I've tried a couple of the recipes from this article (or similar recipes anyway). I actually like the one that calls for mayonnaise. Give it a shot, it is certainly different (and IMHO delicious).

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thomas View Post
    I've tried a couple of the recipes from this article (or similar recipes anyway). I actually like the one that calls for mayonnaise. Give it a shot, it is certainly different (and IMHO delicious).

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all
    I've heard of the mayonnaise thing before, but for some reason cannot bring myself to put it on corn on the cob. I like to taste the corn flavor without much else really, so I go sparingly on everything else.

LOML & I just got back from the Olathe sweet corn festival in Olathe, Colorado. Man they grow good corn up there!
    We brought back 2 dozen ears @ .020 an ear. (picked that morning)

I’m going to try Justin's method tonight!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Anyone got a drop-dead lip-smakkin' way to do corn on the grill?

My son and I are broadening our horizons.... Wrapped in foil ain't doing it anymore.
    Yah what justin said leave the husk on while grilling it, and use only salt when you eat it. Butter smothers the flavor.

don't fuss...

just throw it on there!

i've soaked it and not soaked it, and as long as it's fresh it don't matter much.

i trim the top of the silk, but just so they don't hang out and burn. actually, i think i skipped that just now. oh well. i have 7 on the grill as i write. i turn them every so often - they do take a while, i'd say 20 or so minutes at 350-400. i like mine cooked, my bf likes his crunchy, so his comes off sooner. then we butter after, and sometimes i like to throw mine back on after the husk removal and buttering to get some nice grill marks. tasty.

you can char the outside without burning the inside, and they just steam themselves. easiest thing ever.

the other thing i like about the grill is that you can leave them in the husks if they are leftover and put them in the fridge - no need to wrap them!

on a side not - STRONGLY suggest everyone try grilled carrots. get a bag, half them lengthwise, rub em down with olive oil (or veg. oil) salt & pepper them too. and gril them till tender. best carrots ever.

I just throw the corn with the husk and silks still on. The silks will minimize burning.

Once the outside is charred in 2 or 3 places, the corn is done.

Husking is easy and the silks don't stick.

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

ever try removing the entire husk and tossing it in a pot of boiling water for about 6-8 minutes and then drenching it in butter with some salt?

I have yet to see a reason to improve on this method....