Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What price for this RAS?

What price for this RAS?

A guy locally wants $400 FIRM for this Dewalt Radial Arm saw.

Rebuilt by his father, I think he has an emotional attachment to it.
    Nice, but out of my price range... Unless you-all can convince me it is worth that amount. Every other similar saw I've seen is about half that price.

Thoughts??

mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

Mike...if you are seeing similar saws at half the price, you should buy one of those.

I should have been clearer. The "other" saws are in other cities, too far to be worthwhile to pickup.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

while it looks "pretty"... I certainly wouldn't pay that for a saw that can be near impossible to find parts for without parting with a small fortune...

I passed on heavier duty model that was available locally last month for $150.... it wasn't pretty but it was all there and everything worked properly. However, it didn't last long... someone obviously wanted it.

However as I have little "need" for one anyway.... it'd likely have to be a deal of a lifetime event for me to buy one..

The miter saw has pretty much killed the RAS market... ripping is much safer on a TS and while a RAS can be easier to use in cutting dados, I do most of those with a router anyway as it leaves a better finish.

It looks like a 1200. If it's a 1400, even better. Ask him what the "Frame" number is on the motor plate and please let me know. Or see what it is yourself after you buy it. If this is a picture of the actual saw, it looks like a winner. The 1200 has a Frame 230, probably with no blade brake and the 1400 has a Frame 235 which has a blade brake. The model number (1200 or 1400) should be on a plate at the front of the base.
    Last edited by Basil Rathbone; 08-08-2008 at 11:43 AM.

It looks like it is in great shape and should provide years of great service. However, if it is more then you think you want to spend then hold off and find another more in your price range. Remember though that you may need to completely rebuild it and that will cost some bucks and a lot of labor.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Looks like a good saw, however, a RAS is one of those tools that you should have a need for rather than just a want for.
    As Steve mentioned, the SCMS pretty well decimated the RAS market share. A SCMS will do everything a RAS will do except rip and cut wider panels, and that is best done on the TS anyway.
    If that RAS is $400, then for a couple hundred more you can get a new Dewalt, Milwaukee or Ridgid SCMS. Or, just keep searching CL until the deal comes along.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Don't forget, you can also use a dado on a RAS and can't do that with a SCMS.

I disagree somewhat. However, the OP didn't ask if he should get it or not, only if it was a good price.

It can be a lot of fun, and a lot of satisfaction can be gained by restoring one of these saws if it needs it. And a greater appreciation can be had for quality and engineering that went into making this mode and ones earlier to it. The 1200/1400 were the last "small shop size" RAS's made by dewalt before the style and quality changed.

If he is going to leave it outside to cut 2x4s in the rain, it is probably too much and going to the wrong person. If he wants to do quality work with a quality saw and wants to do it on an RAS, then I would say the price is a good one.

Find something newer. Price is ok but not good. That is my short answer, lon answer do you need a RAS?
    -=Jason=-

11. Seller's Sentimentality Shown in Asking Price

You are going to pay for his sentimentality. It is definately a good saw, however you will be able to find several like it, and with a little work, they will run as nicely as this one. I would pass. Find one in the $100 to $200 range, and update it.

Just my thought.

Not worth it...

I would have to agree with the nay-sayers. That price is too high for that model, plain and simple, even if it's in perfect condition. I would wait for another one.

Hutch

P.S. Check out some online industrial machine resellers. Many MASSIVE radial arm saws go for around $800. (I mean as a price comparison, not for purchase as they usually run on 3 phase.)
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 08-08-2008 at 8:33 PM.

Ras

Remember too, there's a reason why we call them "Radical Harm Saws"

The answer to that question really depends on your needs and priorities. If it is in perfect running condition and the restoration was more than cosmetic ie: motor is tight, bearings are good, the ways are either in good order or have been reground to OEM specs, etc, then maybe it is worth that much. It seems it may not be to you given your apprehension. Others have asked and I will repeat, do you feel you need a RAS, do you want one to try, or is this just an opportunity you are considering? A SCMS is not a substitute for a RAS, but for many the SCMS does everything they would ask of a RAS and both would be redundant, so in that position most go for the lighter/smaller option. I have both in my shop and find them complimentary.

You won't find many old DeWalts that don't need at least some some TLC, and many need more than that. Do stop and consider how much time may be spent working on an old saw. If you enjoy tuning old machinery, lubing, adjusting, readjusting, making work tables etc. then it may make sense to look for a cheaper saw in salvageable condition. Many of the wear parts that need replacing are readily available from machine shop suppliers as off the shelf replacements, but things like guards and castings may be nearly impossible to find and difficult at least to recreate. If you would rather plug it in and go, perhaps a fully restored machine is for you. For comparison check out the original saw company and Wolfe Machinery. Do not compare the craftsman line as they are simply not in the same class.

For example I was given a 1949 DeWalt GR42 14" long arm RAS for free. It was a non functional basket case but the critical parts were there. I spent $700 in additional parts and about 120 man hours cleaning and rebuilding it for which i paid myself zero. I now have a saw whose replacement cost would be between $3500-$4200! Sound good? Except at my $45/hour shop rate, if I paid myself the free saw cost me $6100. Some one should write a book called "Zen and the art of DeWalt RAS Maintenance". I paid little out of pocket considering what a capable machine I now have, but the opportunity cost was large. However I did learn a lot and very much enjoyed the experience, which is hard to put a price on.

Good luck with your decision.

If your not in a hurry wait a couple of weeks and offer him 200

or offer him two now and leave him your number