Thread: Review - 10.8V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit

Review - 10.8V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit

We got these in at the HD BORG this week, I was setting up a display model last evening and decided to give it a test run. The battery had a charge in it right out of the box so without re-charging it I tried it out.
    I ran several self tapping/self drilling screws into a cut section of warehouse racking and then using a hex shank drill bit put several more holes in the steel. The Makita surprised me with it torque and rpm range. Where Makita missed the boat on this one is that it is only has a 10.8v rating instead of the 12v that everyone else is using. Additionally, it does not have a clutch mechanism on it to limit the torque. The torque rating for it is 800 ft/in vs. 125 ft/in for the Milwaukee and the Ridgid. It has the LED light which appears to be quite bright. I'm sure their battery rating is probably like Bosch's which is a little on the low side when compared to the 12v rated sub compact drivers. In actuality, it probably is just as strong as the 12v.
    Their price tag is steep for this baby though, $149. If anyone is interested it is HD BORG sku 637-278. Here is an informational link to the Makita Impact driver
    I've been looking at investing in one of these sub compact drivers, but so far haven't found one that jumps out at me.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

The voltage rating is just a marketing thing - the new 10.8v and 12v really have the same power (in fact I think Bosch is changing the rating on theirs just to fit in).

How do you like it compared to the Bosch? Are they selling the combo package with drill/driver and impactor?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    The voltage rating is just a marketing thing - the new 10.8v and 12v really have the same power (in fact I think Bosch is changing the rating on theirs just to fit in).

How do you like it compared to the Bosch? Are they selling the combo package with drill/driver and impactor?
    Your right, Bosch is relabeling theirs to 12v, thats why their closing out the PS10 & 20 right now.

So far, the only thing we've gotten in is just the impact driver. Haven't seen it in a combo kit yet.

It appears to be nearly a twin to Bosch's PS-20, same size & weight, batteries are the same size just a little different configuration.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Probably a twin to the PS40 is more accurate. The PS20 is a screwdriver which is why it has a clutch. A typical Impact would not have a clutch and the PS40 does not. The PS40 is also $140ish dollars and 800in pounds of torque.

In fact it looks like a 10.8V PS40 almost exactly.

Just won one of the 10.8V p40's. Very excited to try it out. Got lucky and had Woodsmith pick up a tip I sent in. Suppose I should subscribe in the near future. Glad they changed their top tip award to the impactor vs. the long standing award pf a PC 690 router. You can never have too many routers, but the impactor is more needed in my shop currently. I'll have to do a review eventually.
    Jeff, South Carolina

I just bough the Bosch I drive with the swivel head, looking for a compact tool for installing drawer slides in some drawer stack cabinets. Not sure I like the 'delay' on this tool, I'm thinking about returning it in favor of a compact 10-12V drill driver or VS impact driver. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I just bough the Bosch I drive with the swivel head, looking for a compact tool for installing drawer slides in some drawer stack cabinets. Not sure I like the 'delay' on this tool, I'm thinking about returning it in favor of a compact 10-12V drill driver or VS impact driver. Any thoughts?
    I actually learned to like the delay, once I got used to it. It helps keep me from stripping screws.