Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "J" style plane with Rosewood infill

New "J" style plane with Rosewood infill

A while back Jameel Abraham posted pictures of a plane that he fashioned from one of my small smoother kits. However the modifications that he made to the plane really turned it into a very different plane than the standard configuration. It improved the ergonomics, gave it a much more substantial presence and was really just an all around upgrade to the standard configuration. As I assumed would happen someone contacted me requesting that I build a plane for them in this style. The first order of business was to contact Jameel, even though he built the original plane from one of my plane bodies and related components the modifications were his visionary creation and I felt that I needed his permission to build this design. Jameel was flattered that someone would want a plane like his and whole heartedly gave me the go ahead to build the plane to his design. The following pics are the result of this endeavor. The plane is just under 2" wide, 2.375" tall and 6.5" long. The infill wood is more of that 60 year old Picasso rosewood, one of the finest pieces of rare wood that I've had the pleasure to work. Given the sizable contribution that Jameel has put into this project I've decided to call this the "J" plane.

Thanks for looking,

Ron Brese
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stunning! That's all I have to say!

Ron, if you are using integrated rivets and the bottom is made of steel, why don't we see the steel rivets? I may have a mistaken understanding of integrated rivets. I thought they were formed out of the bottom piece.

Question aside, Wow! That is a beautiful plane design!

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Smells like an advertisement to me. Shame.

Bill

Jameel had a nice vision

Brian,

Jameel had a nice vision, I sent you a pm about the rivet process.

Ron

Unhappy Let's not go there......

Quote Originally Posted by william Ku View Post
    Smells like an advertisement to me. Shame.

Bill
    Shame on you Bill! Please don't head down that path. When someone shares something they have made with us there is no need to read something else into it or no one will post their work for fear of seeming to be self promoting. I build lots of doors so if I show one of my doors here is that too a self promotion?
    We should all be incouraging each other to show what we've made as it helps all of us to become better woodworkers because we see what is possible even if it is beyond what we are capable of.

Great looking plane Ron and I thought the same thing about Jameel's modifications. He really brought out a beauty that was hiddened in that plane. I enjoyed seeing his blog and how he made the mods and his thought process in doing that. Kodos to both of you. Great work......
    Charlie Mastro
    Mastro Woodworking & Design
    Joseph, OR

I don't think I read anything into it.

Still seems like an advertisement, to me.

We here don't often buy doors; we build them.

We do often buy tools. (Though, yeah, we do build them too).

Don't go down that road? Guess I'm just a little leery.

Bill

Very Nice,
    As Always Ron
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

9. That's beaugorgeous!

Great work Ron.

Very nice Ron.

Beautiful work, as always, Ron. Though I'm partial to toted planes, something like this almost makes me change my mind! One of these days, I'm going to have to stop at your place and see these in person!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    Beautiful work, as always, Ron. Though I'm partial to toted planes, something like this almost makes me change my mind! One of these days, I'm going to have to stop at your place and see these in person!

Mark

Oh.....road trip

You would be more than welcome

I'm always glad to see fellow woodworkers and tool makers at my door, some of you have been here and the rest of you are welcome to drop in for a visit. Whenever woodworkers and woodworker/toolmakers get together there is always a good time to be had. You certainly never run out of something to talk about! (grin) I'm convinced that woodworkers and toolmakers are some of the best people in the world.

Thanks for the compliments on the plane, this post is really more of a celebration of collaboration between Jameel and myself, hat's off to Jameel for his vision of this tool.

Ron

Ron
    That's just gorgeous. With the Jameel mod making for more visible wood surface it really brings out the best in that rosewood. Can I assume Jameel's other mod is going to cost extra?

Last edited by Doug Shepard; 08-09-2008 at 8:02 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

The driver

Doug,

I have no idea where the dark haired girl in the bikini came from! (grin)

Ron