Thread: Vacuum Pumps

Vacuum Pumps

Like almost everyone else here, I'm interested in vacuum chucking. Not knowing anything about vacuum pumps, but watching many auctions on the 'bay, I see lots of Gast pumps for sale. Will they all work, or are there different types which are more, less, or even unsuitable for vacuum chucking on a lathe? Any info on models to look for / avoid would be helpful. I'm running 110/115 in my little shop. Thanks, Mike

Pumps

Try bill Noble. He sells Gast and knows all about vacuum systems. Has a good explanation of how to set one up. http://www.wbnoble.com

Mike you might want to check out Joe Woodworkers Site, Lots of info on vacuum pumps, also a great veneer source. Have some good prices and DIY vacuum systems. I got my Gast pump with veneer bag brand new when I bought out a guys shop. Mines working great for vacuum chucking. I ordered 3" and 6" chucks and the through rod from Packard. Went to the Borg to make a bleed off valve 1/8" ball valve. Sorry I have only finished a platter 18" and a 10" bowl using the vacuum chuck. Was pulling 40 hg. I've been off my feet for 2 weeks now, had a screw go into my foot about 1" and didn't know it was there until I took my shoe off an hour or two later (no feeling in my feet diabetic), so no turning until I heal up.
    I was amazed how well the chuck worked. Mike Mahony shows how to center your piece by bring your tool rest to the outer edge of your bowl (whatever your working on) and using your thumb to feel the high point, spinning by hand. It worked very well to center the work.
    The only thing I can't mount is my adapter for my grizzly chuck 1 1/4 to 1X8. I can mount all my face plates and SN2 chuck with no problem. So it is very easy to go from SN2 chuck to vacuum chuck in seconds.
    Mike it will probably be atleast a week or two before I will be back in the shop to get some pic's....Good Luck, lots of pump info on Joe's site....Bruce