Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

11 Aug 2008
    Good Morning,

Man am I really liking these cooler temps in August.!!!! Lower 70's is really GREAT!!!! I can take the cold better than I can take the heat and I'm lovin' this weather.!!!!

All I can say today is that I worked at the day job Wednesday thru Sunday. No church attendance for me on Sunday as I was working the day job for a special high management project that had to be out and done before noon today. It's done until upper management talks it all over in meetings today and Wednesday of this week.

I'm off today through Wednesday and I will begin my gathering of firewood for this winter. I should have started earlier, but hey, I have to start when I can start.

Hopefully today, I can finish a cutting board that has been glued up and sitting on my bench for the last few months as well as getting some cleanup done on the shop so I can get going on a kitchen table that my neighbor has been waiting on since last December.

It's off and getting busy....So what did YOU do this weekend???

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Weekend Accomplishments

I started a new project by building my first cabinet face frame. Brought the trailer to work today so I can pick up the rest of the lumber I need during lunch, then back in the shop tonight to make the sides and floor.

The face frame went pretty well for my first attempt. Not perfect, but I only had to put it together twice , and only messed up one rail by routing the wrong side . I got to use my new (used) Delta jointer and that went well too. Maybe by next weekend I'll have enough progress to post some pics. Gordy

Blog Entries
    I finally decided which side of the saw blade to mount my incra miter express..... and hooked that all up. I made a place to stow the miter express as well. Then I started to make the replacement lid out of curly maple to a box I had started..... since I screwed the first one up. Pulled all of my wood down from the loft in my wood shop and took some pictures so I don't have to pull it all down to see what I have every time I want to start a project..... I can look at the photos when I'm trying to choose wood for projects....
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 08-11-2008 at 9:51 AM.

Saturday, we took Nastia and some friends to an amusement park to do a belated celebration of her 13th birthday...rollercoasters, etc. Sunday I worked on cleaning up my tools that were still in the house, cleaning some more, putting the glass shelves in the wet bar cabinets and framing some pictures. I was very tired from the park, so I actually didn't get much done...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We had a fairly slow weekend at work. Actually did some yard work on Friday. Sprayed the yard with Trimec for clover and some broadleaf weeds.

Saturday evening, we were at the kickoff for my oldest son's high school marching band routine. That is always fun.

but we missed Jennifer's (my budding woodworker) all star softball game. (she wasn't scheduled to play so she said it was ok to miss it)

Sunday, yard work. Who would have thought that in August, I would still be cutting grass every 5 days.

no woodworking, I thought about it but I was also sort of tired. not a good combination.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Very little woodworking for me. Sat was consumed with a visit with a couple from Australia visiting the US. They were supposed to be on a 3 hour layover on their train trip from San Antonio to Oklahoma City. Planned to take them someplace in downtown Ft Worth to eat, and then out to the Stock Yards for a visit. Train was late, so we had just enough time to grab a sandwich at the train station's Subway, and get a little talk in before they had to board. Ate some mediocre Mexican food on the way home.
    Sunday I got a few hours in the shop and got the top for my planer prepped, and the laminate applied. Then watched the Olympics for the rest of the evening. Need to paint the rest of the cart, and move the Herc-U-Lift from the jointer stand to this cart, then I can move on to some of the lighter drop in sections for my multifunction wall.
    Have a great week! And Dennis, send some of that cooler weather to us. Our cool weather was 90 today, but that's better than the 102+ we had last week. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Ditto on the cooler weather. I was about ready to A/C the shop.

Worked on this seemingly never ending set of cherry kitchen cabinets and oak vanities. They keep changing stuff, and keep adding cabinets.

Cleaned up the aftermath of the latest batch of plant stands. Actually pulled out the scrap bin and cleaned behind it .

Built some bird houses with the cutoffs from the plant stands. Already got all but one sold. Yeah, it's late in the year for bird houses, but it was an experiment in efficiently disposing of a huge pile of scrap while actually making a few bucks, so hooray!

Decided it's time to build a compartmentalized scrap bin. I might actually use that 9 inch piece of cherry currently dwelling under a ton of scraps.

Used the profits from the plant stands to buy a new drill/driver (Panasonic 12 volt).

Took the kid to the park. Something about that last hour of twilight before bedtime, as summer winds down, that is almost magical when you're a kid. Or a parent watching your toddler as she zooms down the slide for the fiftieth time, every time pleading, "One more time, Daddy! Pleeeeeease!"

Welp, Saturday the wife and I cleaned house (tell ya what, 2 cats is as about as bad as two kids, LOL) Saturday night, I decided to start on the plans for my work bench.

Sunday we went to church then went out to lunch with our neighbor, her kids and her parents which live next door to her (we all go to the same church

We then went to SAMS with my parents, they wanted to get a deep freeze.... We got it to their house and unloaded... then watched some Ice Road Truckers with them while we celebrated her Birthday one day early (today is actually her birthday)

I'm currently STILL working out the plans for my workbench..

Dave
    Ahhhhh..... the smell of fresh cut wood!