Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandfather clock plan/kit

Blog Entries

Grandfather clock plan/kit

I have a huge event about to happen in my family and I want to celebrate it with a gift of a grandfather clock. I want to find several possibilities to present and then have them choose the one they want. I have found a mission style from Norm and a couple of various others. There is a web site called www.klockit.com that seems to promise several styles and movements, but I cannot get it to show me pictures or prices at all. I have tried firefox and IE, neither seem to get me past the description of the "Cooper Collection" telling me about all the different options and the like. There are no pictures or links except for one to a movement mounting system.
    Does anyone else have this problem with this site? And also, are there any other recommendations for grandfather clock plans or kits?

Thanks
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Larry,

I was able to access the Cooper kits at the below link. Both Fire fox and Internet Explorer.

http://www.klockit.com/products/prod...father_Kit&tab=

James

Thumbs up

GF clock plans abound Larry....you'll have no trouble finding dozens of styles and plans. For clock movements, I've had great experiences with Clockparts.com. They seem to have comparable selection and better prices than Klockit, and their service has been great. Both are good suppliers though.

Congratulations and good luck with the project......please post some pics when you're done!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-11-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Larry, you will like the klockit clock parts and materials.

You must not be navagating the site quite right, but I do agree you have to look around to find the different parts and pieces. I am now on my fourth grandfather clock, and the works and other parts from klockit are in every one. If you still have issues call their 800 number and ask for assistance, they are really good to help and have a technition that really understands the movements on staff. The last two clocks I have made are not from any plans and I had to call and get them to forward me the installation materials for the works so I could finish the "bed' for the movement installation.

This last clock I am working on is similar the the Cooper Collection Mission clock and I made the case just from the picture on the web site. If you download the dimensions of the space needed for the movement and pendulum you want to buy you can make a case to fit the model you decide on. My advice is never to make a case and buy a works to fit it, go the other way and build a case to fit the works.

If you have questions pm me.

Harley

Blog Entries
    I went back an tried it right after I posted this and got a message saying they were doing maintenance on the site. I just now tried it again and was able to navigate just fine in firefox. So I guess the problem was on their end all along. Anyway, it looks like they have quite a variety of plans with hardware kits and movements.
    Is this a good company to do business with?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I made a grandfather clock from plans I got www.murrayclock.com/
    They are wonderful to work with and their customer service is second to none. They have one of the most detailed catalogs I've seen and they have a vast array of parts and accesories. You owe it to yourself to give them a look.
    Ray Scheller

Change is inevitable except from vending machines.

Larry if you are going to invest in the time to build a good case, buy a good mechanical movement and chimes. Both Murray and Klockit are good companies, Murray is Canadian though I think. I bought some plans from them once and they were good to work with, did not like their plans though, for the money it was not what I expected. Klockit plans are not that great either but are useful. Both companies have good German made mechanical movements, expect to pay at least $450 for the lesser models, up to $2,000 for the tube type chimes and movements. Call Klockit on their 800 number and visit with them, they are good to work with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley Lewis View Post
    Larry if you are going to invest in the time to build a good case, buy a good mechanical movement and chimes. Both Murray and Klockit are good companies, Murray is Canadian though I think. I bought some plans from them once and they were good to work with, did not like their plans though, for the money it was not what I expected. Klockit plans are not that great either but are useful. Both companies have good German made mechanical movements, expect to pay at least $450 for the lesser models, up to $2,000 for the tube type chimes and movements. Call Klockit on their 800 number and visit with them, they are good to work with.
    Harley,
    I am making this as a present for a new addition to our extended family and I am letting her pick out the plan. She picked out this one. I have ordered the plan but will wait to get the clock parts until I have studied the plan. This is probably not the one I would have chosen, but it is not about what I want.

Anyway, if I go with the recommended clock parts it will come to $580 or so for that, and by the time I get the wood, hardware, glass and new tools (every project requires new tools) I figure it could approach a grand or more. This is quite a bit over my imagined budget. (not sure what that was, but it definitely wasn't $1000!) I am thinking of asking them to help with some of the expense. Do you guys think I would be out of line to do that? This really seems to be the right project for this occasion, but the expense is going to be more than I can comfortably afford.
    Larry J Browning

I would at least let them know what the cost is going to be and they would hopefully offer to offset some of the cost (and then you can punt ). Non-woodworkers have no idea what a project can cost.

Though it appears the decision has already been made as to the plan, you might want to look at the Pennsylvania Tall Case Clock in Glen Huey's book on building period furniture anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1558...3O#reader-link

The projects in this book are simply spectacular. The plans and step-by-step photos are excellent, and there is even an instructional CD with videos and the plans included.

Brian

Grandfather clock plan

Woodworkers Journal Sept. 84 published an excellent plan that I built several years ago.They will send you a reprint of the article for about $4.00. Check it out on their website. You can modify it to use any movement you like.

I recently finished an arts and crafts style grandfather clock and bought the clock works and other misc. parts from klockit. I have nothing but praise for them. Not only was everything I received just as described in their catalog but when I had some very detailed technical questions their support people were able to answer every question I had right off the top of their heads. Even when I wanted to find just the right hands to fit the look of the clock they were able to find me ones that weren't listed in their catalog.

If I build another clock I will definitely use them again.

Hope this helps

Jay

Larry, your estimate of $1,000 is very close. I have spent at least that on all of the clocks I have made except for a wall hung regulator with mechanical works. It was about $700 when finished. It is a life time investment in an heirloom quality piece of furniture so just think of this clock being in great grandchildren's home some day. Be sure you sign and date it on the back or inside bottom of the case.

You can use lots of liberty on the look of the case, the interior dimensions are the critical part so follow that on the plan. If you want to change the looks of the various trims on the outside go for it. That way, you will make a one of a kind case that is not in any other home. Of course when you make your own trim you will need additional tools like a shaper or a new router or router table .

One thing on the mechanical movements, for a few $ more you can purchase a movement with an automatic shut off feature that turns the chimes off at 10pm and on at 7am. I put that in the clock I made for our house, nice to not hear the chimes all night. The plan you bought will recommend a movement and that is great unless you want to upgrade. Since it is a gift, you may not want to do that.

Since this is beyond your original budget, you could consider the case as your gift, and let the person you give it to or others help buy the mechanical works. Your case will have a significant value by itself!

Harley

There is another company that sells parts, plans, kits, movements:
    http://www.colonialtimes.com/

too bad their website is being renovated right now. I had bookmarked them because I wanted to buy plans in the future. You may want to contact them to see if they can send you a catalogue. Their plans/kits certainly seemed interesting when I was browsing their website.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley Lewis View Post
    Of course when you make your own trim you will need additional tools like a shaper or a new router or router table .
    Harley
    I like your thinking on this point. I am definitely thinking the same thing.
    Larry J Browning