Thread: Inherited Tools

Inherited Tools

In Russel S's Minor Tool Gloat Thread he mentioned having several of his grandfather's tools and Todd Burch chimed in that he has several from his grandfather as well.

I also have some of my grandfather's tools. The ones I use the most are his old framing square and a 2' level. Neither are anything fancy or collectible but just tools that a man who worked with them his whole life used and passed on to me. I use them all the time and like to think that maybe he's looking over my shoulder to see that I'm doing things right like he used to when I was young.

Just wondering who else has a few special tools like that around.

Dean

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Dean, I have a few things from my grandmother . Simple in nature but handy. She was a trend settler way back then.

I also have my dads 50 year old Cman circular saw. It's a refurbished "commercial grade".

I have buried 2 modern Cman saws, 1 B&D, and 1 skill. This bad boy keeps on chuggin after the family home projects, additions, and a garage. In my hands it has rehabbed three houses, one garage, built two garages and it's working for my children now. It has power and strength (like my dad) and did beautiful work in his hands. The cord is a little shorter but she purrs.
    I learned respect for tools from his neglect. His tools weren't organized or cared for. H..l he let me use and abuse them . He taught me well and fostered my obsession with toyls, old and new.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

My father passed away last fall, and this summer I get to go back and pick up all his tools (he also has an old crate full of my Grandpa's things too!). He was a woodshop teacher for many years, and started me out when I was just five. It's because of him that I'm now getting back into the craft .. one because I enjoy it so much, and two because when I'm out there working it reminds me of all the good times we had building things together. After he died I took his favorite old wooden hammer, chisel and some wood shavings and mounted them in a shadow box as a remembrance. I can hardly wait to have all his other tools here to help bring back those memories. Thanks for the post Dean.

Dean,
    The tools I got from my grandfather aren't collectible either, but they spent 50 years in his basement workshop in Brooklyn, NY, and I swear I can still smell that place when I get near them. They are nothing special, but they mean the world to me. I love using them. I only wish I could get some pics of the stuff he built. Incredible. My mother even has the TS he built for himself. Solid laminated hard maple top(butcher-block style), with a huge motor. He welded the fence up from steel stock, even designed the lock-down feature. It's big and stills cuts nicely to this day. I wish I could do that kind of work. Awesome.

Best,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

Jim's post about the hammer reminded me of my most special inheritance - my Grandfathers Stanley tack hammer.

He purchased it in 1935, during the depression, at a hardware store for 75 cents. When I was a young lad, I would spend most of my summers at his house. When I was around 12 years old (1974-ish), I started taking an interest in his shed/shop, his tools, and making things like rabbit traps. This little hammer he let me use.

As kids will do, I got attached to the little pint-sized hammer and asked my Grandfather if I could have it. He said yes, but not now. On goes life....

My whole life, up until 1998 when he died, I visited there (Missouri) probably once a year on average. Maybe just a weekend visit, sometimes more than a week at a time.

When I was around 32 years old, I was visiting. I knew my Grandfather was starting to think about downsizing, as Grandma had died a few years prior. On that visit, just before I left, he went into the shed the morning that I was leaving and came out with this hammer. He came up to me and held it out, and said "Todd, here is your hammer." I looked at it, and at him, not remembering the moment we had 20-odd years ago, and asked him what did he mean. He told me the story of when I had asked for it, and that he had told me I couldn't have it until later. I was finally at the age & maturity level where he knew I would take care of it. I thanked him, and told him he was very smart to wait until then to hand it over.

It's my special hammer. When my son is 35-ish (or 40... or 45...), he'll get it.