Thread: PM 2000 TS startup problems

PM 2000 TS startup problems

I have a

Powermatic PM2000 10" 3 HP 1 Phase 230V Table Saw. Its connected to a new 30 AMP circuit breaker. Occasionally the motor will not come up to full speed and the magnetic on/off switch disconnects. The circuit breaker does not trip. This usually occurs when I have a dado set of blades on the arbor. Although it has happened with just a 10" blade on. I wonder if my power company is lowering the line voltage. Or if the startup current is large enough to cause a voltage drop. The saw is located about 75 feet from the circuit breaker panel.
    I can get the motor to run by allowing it wind down but not stop and than hit the "on "button. It seem as if the motor startup winding cannot produce enough torque to start the motor under load.
    My saw is less than a year old. Any suggestions or people with similar problems??

There's already been a few posts regarding this problem. I believe PM had to replace the motor in these cases...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d=5960&t=85938

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d=5960&t=86035

Best to call PM directly and resolve the problem with them.

sounds like a capacitor problem. you should contact powermatic for prior permission ( so as not to void any warranty) to take the caps off and check the capacitors. If one is blown, it is usually visible and will have a strong smell to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward P. Surowiec View Post
    ...This usually occurs when I have a dado set of blades on the arbor. Although it has happened with just a 10" blade on....??
    Concur with Chris. Bad capacitor.

More likely to show up with a stacked dado set than with a regular blade because the dado set has a much higher rotary inertia and, therefore, requires more startup torque from the motor. With a bad capacitor, that starting torque simply isn't available.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Call Powermatic

I had the same problem with dado blades and my pm2000.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73595

When I called powermatic I didn't even get to finish explaining my problem before the technician said he'd send me out a new switch. It's obviously a faulty part that they would rather folks call in to have replaced in stead of fixing at the factory.

fyi... they overnighted the part.
    Eric

I also had the same issue. In March 2008 I purchased a new Powermatic PM2000 10" 3 HP 1 Phase 230V Table Saw. I read the posts Frank mentioned and immediately installed an 8" stacked dado hit the start button and sure enough the motor spun up slow and then stopped.

Powermatic sent me the new part (PM2000-293OR “Overload Relay (14-17A)”), installed it and it works now like a charm. BTW: This issue only occurred when I used the stacked dado blade.

The PM Tech support were excellent.

Thank you all. I called PM WMH. The tech advised me to open the switch and check the setting on the overload relay. I found that it was set at 14 and changed it to 17. With a full dado set the my saw came up to full power on the first try, but it failed on the second, third and fourth try.
    Its after business hours at WMH so I'll call back tomorrow.

Ed

Well I called PM back today and the tech said he would send me a new switch with relay. I told him that I would install the switch. Then he suggested that I tighten the belt on the motor. I said that this seemed counterintuitive since the motor cannot get up to speed with a full set of dado blade. How would adding more load to the motor help. He claimed that in some cases it helped. I'll wait for the new switch.
    Ed

What size wire are you using between your panel and the saw? For a 75 ft run the wire size may be causing too much voltage drop when the motor is under starting load. I would suggest one size larger wire than what is required to meet the full load rating of the saw for a wire run that long.

If you can measure the voltage at the saw, check it before you start the saw and then again while it is being started. It should be between about 220 and 250 volts before you start the saw and you should not see it lower than about 180 volts while the saw is starting. Any lower than this and you will continually have trouble with the saw even if they replace the starter. You will need to increase the wire size to reduce the voltage drop. It will also help the saw to achieve full power when running.

Charley

Charley, the wire run from my panel is 12/3 plus gnd. At 230 volts the startup relay limits the inrush current to 17 Amps. PM has an adjustment for limiting the current form 13 to 17 AMPS. I think the 12/3 wire should be able to carry the initial current before any heating of the wire occurs and its resistance increases. But your suggestion is a good one and I will measure the line voltage at the saw when I disassemble the switch to install the new one. Thanks
    Ed

PM solved my problem. They shipped me a new on/off switch with thermal overload, but that did not fix my start-up problem. PM made arrangements with CAYCE a local Baltimore company to trouble shoot and repair my saw. After replacing the two capacitors and centrifugal switch the saw would start-up with a full stack of dado blades but there was an growling noise. Richard, the technician, was very good he disassembled the motor again and replaced the bearing. The saw plus dado runs great. Thanks to all for your replies.
    Ed

It took a month before your brand new saw was working? I have the money set aside for a new table and PM2000 was top on the list but I just don't know now.

Is this problem exclusive to the 3hp, or has the 5hp having the same problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ocel View Post
    Is this problem exclusive to the 3hp, or has the 5hp having the same problems?
    Knowing no more about it than what I've read in this thread, I offer the opinion that since this was a problem with the specific motor in that specific saw, there's no reason to expect 5HP motors to be affected. In fact, there's no real reason, without more extensive reports, to assume the same problem exists in other samples of the 3HP motors. Could be a problem with a specific production run of the 3HP motors, but, at this time, no evidence of that has been presented here.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA