Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you sharpen your skews?

How do you sharpen your skews?

I have recently started playing with my skew chisels and doing some spindle work. I like the thought of learning something new and using a tool that many experts have kind of indicated really is one of the best.

So a week or so ago I got mine out of my Windsor Design, the higher end HarborFreight, box it came it and tested the edge. Felt sharp enough on the first pass and so I tried it on the wood. Ouch! Amazing the kinds of catches one can get with that tool. I managed somehow in the process to bug up the edge so I started trying to sharpening it with my "Darrell Feltmate" design home sharpening rig. Things did not quite so as planned and the edge is very much worse than it was.

I figured, "Hey! Now is a good time to try a radius grind on this skew as well". So I started searching the internet. I found tons of links to something called the Veritas Skew jig. But nothing showed how it was used so I have no idea if it is a good solution. I found others, from OneWay Man., that showed using something similar to what I have and they seemed successful. I found still other that indicated you should use the side of the grinding wheel.

All of the above is of course completely in keeping with the "buyer beware" mentality of the internet. So I not surprised. I was however a bit dismayed because I had hoped to find a decent description how how to sharpen one in a repeatable reliable way and also exactly how to put a radius grind on one. So here I am to ask the experts here who have been so helpful in the past.

How do you grind/sharpen your skews? And second how does one go about re-griding a skew to have a radius edge.

Or perhaps as #3 is it better to just buy something already radiused and ready to roll like a Lacer or Raffan skew?

Thanks!
    Joshua

sharpen skews

Well, first you are going to say,whoa, too expensive, but the Tormek has a jig which sharpens the rectangle and oval shanked skews. it beats the daylights out of using the side of the wheel. cant help you on the radiusing except do it by free-hand.hopefully helpful, Max

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    Well, first you are going to say,whoa, too expensive, but the Tormek has a jig which sharpens the rectangle and oval shanked skews.
    Ok. Well I will stop by Woodcraft on my way home and take a look at the Tormek and see what it does. They might also have a pre-radiused skew to look at.

Thanks for the idea.

Joshua

Joshua,

I sharpen my straight skew using a Oneway Wolverine jig and skew attachment. Why...it's quick.

I sharpen my radiused skews freehand on the grinder.

If you seriously want to learn to use the skew buy Allan Lacer's video "the Skew Chisel....The Dark Side....The Sweet Side" or better yet....find someone locally who uses the skew and likes it. Have them show you.

In the video, Lacer points out several things. First, he states you should probably start out with a straight skew chisel. Secondly he shows you how to sharpen a straight skew.....Third he shows you how to grind a straight skew into a radius skew. Fourth, he shows you how to sharpen a radiused skew chisel. He uses a slow speed grinder with a 40 grit and 60 grit wheel IIRC. I was just watching it today and sharpened my 5/8" Lacer radius skew.

Joshua, I as I told you in the PM........it is a wonderful tool...the angle of the bevel is important......the skew must be SHARP SHARP and you must practice. It's not easy to learn but once you learn....you will love it.

PM Brian Brown about his experience this past weekend using my skews. My skews aren't magic. They have the bevel at the right angle and they are sharp. Brian indicated he had not had a good experience with the skew. He and I co-turned a pen using nothing but a skew. Then he and his wife co-turned a pen using nothing but a skew.

Get the video or get a mentor! It'll help.

Good luck and don't give up!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-19-2008 at 7:53 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

In the Alan Lancer video he said you should stick with sharpening the standard skew before trying the raidus..

What you need is a adjustable tool tool rest, I modeled mine some what after the LV model..

I bought the aluminum scraps from
    http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I sharpen all three of my skews the same way, free hand on the disc sander. I have a 120 grit disc on there and get a razor sharp edge almost instantly. Freehanding it took some practice, but once you get the hang of it it's incredibly fast. I have a flat skew, an oval, and an Alan Lacer radiused, and still, I sharpen all three on the sander. Just my pennies worth....
    Through art we see the beauty within the common....

I take mine to the grinder free hand. Then I take it to the bench stone and hone it sharp.

I use the wolverine, but just the adjustable rest. Get the angle set right, and hold the edge 90 degrees to the wheel (tool flat, at an angle across the rest).
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

Hi Ken,

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I sharpen my straight skew using a Oneway Wolverine jig and skew attachment. Why...it's quick.
    Interesting. I have found a number of things from people that said they felt it wasn't useful. Interesting to get an opposing point of view. I figure like so many things everything is useful in someway to someone.

I sharpen my radiused skews freehand on the grinder.
    Ok. So looking for a jig for this type probably isn't the way to go. I did stop by the woodcraft on the way home and in a completely different spot from the rest of the sharpening stuff they had the Veritas jig I mentioned. Once I saw what it was and read the docs from the back of the package it is a pretty simple thing and I can see how one could do it by hand just using a finger as the rotation point for the skew.

[quote]If you seriously want to learn to use the skew buy Allan Lacer's video "the Skew Chisel....The Dark Side....The Sweet Side"[quote]
    I do. I really seriously do. I actually ordered a copy of that DVD. I expected it to take longer for some reason but I got a lovely surprise when I got home from work this evening and it was in my mailbox. I haven't had a chance to start watching it. Pesky lawn needed to be mowed. But it is on my list of things to do ASAP tomorrow. I will have to try the local turners club here again and see if I can't meet some people who could help with these types of things as well. I have been hesitant to do so but that seems a little silly at the moment.

PM Brian Brown about his experience this past weekend using my skews.
    I had read those posts and viewed the pictures. Looked like a fun time was had by all. I will write and ask him what he thought of the experience.

Good luck and don't give up!
    I won't! And thanks for all the replies to post and PMs. I have appreciated the information greatly!

Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    What you need is a adjustable tool tool rest, I modeled mine some what after the LV model..
    Wow Johnny! Those look seriously awesome! Got a measure drawing/parts list for making them?

Thanks,
    Joshua

i have the wolverine skew jig but dont use it.. i grind mine on the rest that comes with the wolverine, and then use a fine grit large slip stone that i have by the lathe, a few brushes keeps it razor sharp all the time.
    Rasmus Petersen - woodturning.dk.
    Itīs not a failure itīs a design opportunity

Joshua, I used the Wolverine, on both the gouges and then to achieve the radious on the skew. But the edge on the skew as well as my parting tool, I use a belt sander. Just a little table top belt sander works extremely well and will put a real nice, even and consistent edge on for you. Best to you, Jude

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.

Alan Lacer X 3

See the 1st video. You wont look back. Then decide how you want to sharpen.

6 by 24 blue Norton belt----mounted on a table top sander---free hand---takes seconds to sharpen.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I learned from Russ Fairfield, I sharppen mine on wet/dry sandpaper and light oil. Takes a minute and it is razor sharp.