Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning vector table trick

Cleaning vector table trick

Hey folks! I just used an allen wrench to push crud out of the honeycomb in my vector table. It fit so nice into the hex shape - and did a pretty good job! I felt really clever so thought I'd share. I'm sure I'm not the first to try this, but what the heck.
    Rob Sandall
    Bullfrog Graphics, LLC
    Portland, Oregon 97216

Try Krud Kutter undiluted then spray with water.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Depends on what you're cutting. We cut mostly wood, and a lot of it. About once a week I take the vector grid out and wash it.

Spray it good with a cleaner, like Simple Green, Krud Kutter, or any other you choose.

Then clean it with a pressure washer.

charlie
    Epilog Legend EXT 75W
    Model airplane kits

Thanks guys!

I'll get me some Krud Kutter and give it a whirl.....
    Rob Sandall
    Bullfrog Graphics, LLC
    Portland, Oregon 97216

Pressure Washer

Be careful with the pressure washer! I know that some people have reported that they beat the crap out of their honeycomb doing it this way.

Jim

Yes, I do use the 'std' nozzle and not the 'super' nozzle.

The 'std' nozzle will not cut through my skin. The 'super' one will cut through pine

It is still the only thing that works for us. But then we cut through a couple of trees worth of wood every week too.

charlie
    Epilog Legend EXT 75W
    Model airplane kits

Brake Clean also works great if you have a heavy build up on the grid, even if the buildup is plastic. Spray on let set for 20 minutes and rinse off. Only use on the metal grids. Gets ugly with the acrylic and paper honeycomb.
    Sandee Force

A few dollars spent contributing to SMC will save you hundreds of dollars in time and materials.

anyone ever try oven cleaner? I've been tempted to try it since it eats pretty much anything, but haven't yet.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Oven cleaner will also slowly "eat" aluminum. After about 30 applications of it the grid will get brittle and start to break easily (don't ask me how I know this). Soaked over nite Krud Kutter will take off almost all of the residue from burned on oak. I also found that just spraying 409 on and letting it soak for a couple of hours and then rinsing off and repeating several times takes off 95 % of the residue.
    Epilog Legend 75W, Corel 12,

Blog Entries
    And as proof that oven cleaner is a bad thing to use on aluminum, take a large sheet of aluminum foil (cooking tin foil), spray one side with cleaner, then ball it up. Place ball in middle of parking lot and wait for the flames appear.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have tried using engine cleaner to clean my grid... The honey comb is so brittle though that i cannot exactly get it looking 100% new.. One night i sat in a chair with a box of q tips and some Goo Off.. I put a Q tip into each hole.. Making sure it was sparkling clean... Not worth the effort... No matter what i use on my grid. I will forever have images of past projects silhouetted into my grid. Sure would be nice to be able to make the Vector grid look Mr Clean "Clean"... I usually just soak in some soapy water in a tub using the shower spray hose to spray it.. Then i will take my at compressor and blow off any water and moisture that is there... No matter how i clean my grid i always get a slight brown oxidation.. But that is probably expected.. Would be nice to be able to have a shiny grid every morning...Having some Shiny honey comb and a clean laser is like waking up in the morning on Christmas and smelling the coffee..'"Chuckles"...

Thank you for all the tips guys..... Oven Cleaner No...Bug and Tar Remover Yes... And soaking over night in fluorosulfuric acid is a no no... Might wake up and not have a vector grid or any limbs...
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Go to Home Depot and but some Krud Kutter. Spray it on and the stuff just starts to melt. Then you just need to hose it off.

Bruce
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

Undiluted Krud Kutter seems to work best. I read the threads above and tried Simple Green but Krud Kutter has had best results. I have a 32" x 18" grid and I bought a dog kennel tray to soak it in. Every two weeks or so, I take it out and spray Krud Kutter directly on the grid, turn it over and repeat. Then I rinse with hot water to get a decent amount off. Then I create a diluted mixture in tray and soak it about 15 minute each side. Rinse again. Spray Krud Kutter again on any brown residue remaining and rinse again. Too much time between cleaning means more time cleaning. I did buy a second grid so I can swap them out and clean on my schedule.

My honeycomb table was absolutely the worst after several months of cutting trees and trees of wood, I sprayed Krud Kutter on it, undiluted, and before I got to the 2nd "row" it was already running off and I could see the "like new" coming back through. A bonus is that it's earth friendly, so I can do it outside and just spray it off and it won't harm the grass or plants. Works like a dream, won't use anything else.
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter

Blog Entries
    I have had good luck with LA's Totally Awesome (as seen on TV!!! <grin>) Dirt cheap at a dollar general store, and pretty low toxicity if the MSDS is to be believed. Worked very well on my steel comb. I sprayed it on, let it sit a bit, then hit it with a light power wash. Have also had great luck with Krud Cutter, but it is a bit harsher.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.